Dr Paula Smith
Deputy Programme Director
I joined the Clinical Sciences Teaching Organisation as Deputy Programme Director for the PGCert/PGDip/MSc in Critical Care qualification in October 2021.
I have been in continuous academic employment since completing my PhD in 1995. I conducted seven years of postdoctoral research in biomedical science, including a Wellcome Trust Prize Fellowship at Toronto University, Canada. I held lectureships in Neuropharmacology (UoE) and Biomedical Science &Toxicology (Edinburgh Napier University), before spending nine years as an Academic eFacilitator/Senior Lecturer for Edinburgh Surgery Online (UoE). As well as delivering science degree programmes on-campus and online, I have taught in industry (Aptuit) and overseas (Université Paul Verlaine-Metz, France; Hong Kong HKU Space). In 2017, I completed the Edinburgh Teaching Award for Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
I now enjoy supporting students from a range of professions (doctors, nurses, paramedics, and allied health professionals) in their online learning activities and assessment on the Masters in Critical Care programme.
PhD in Cardiovascular Pharmacology (1992 - 1995) University of Edinburgh
BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences: Pharmacology (1st) (1988 - 1992) University of Edinburgh
Responsibilities & affiliations
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) – Educational Scholarship Committee member and Fellowship mentor (since 2018)
- MSc Imaging/Neuroimaging – UoE Board of Examiners Convenor (since 2017)
- MSc in Clinical Trials - Course Leader: Pharmacovigilance (since 2016)
- Medical Science Educator Journal - Editorial Board member (Associate Editor) (since 2015)
- Higher Education Academy/Advance HE – Fellow (2004-2017); Senior Fellow (since 2017)