Edinburgh Imaging Facility - RIE
This facility is located within the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh building, adjacent to A&E & close to the Division of Clinical Neurosciences (DCN) at Little France.
The Edinburgh Imaging Facility RIE delivers clinical & academic research imaging in humans.
Clinically, we collaborate closely with NHS Lothian because we are co-located on the Little France campus with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.
Physically we are attached to the RIE hospital & adjacent to the Division of Clinical Neurosciences building, which positions us ideally for acute / emergency & subacute imaging studies.
A team of multidisciplinary imaging scientists advises on all aspects of the implementation & design of imaging protocols for patients & study participants.
Our history means the main focus of our research is of the brain & nervous system, including:
A major goal is to reduce the burden of common neurological disorders.
We provide very high quality MR scans, ranging from single simple scans, through to coordinated, multi-centre, global clinical trials.
Our location adjacent to the RIE A&E department means we are developing research into other body systems & pathologies.
FAQ: How do I start an imaging project at your facility?
FAQ: I am a patient / study participant - can you provide me with information about my appointment?
- 1998 - in January, the Brain Research Imaging Centre (BRIC) was founded & located in Edinburgh's Western General Hospital
- 2006 - the Neuroimaging Sciences project administration mechanisms merged with the Clinical Research Facility
- 2016 - BRIC became part of Edinburgh Imaging & is now referred to as the Edinburgh Imaging Facility WGH
- 2017 - in February, a second Brain Research Imaging Facility was officially opened developed at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Little France site (Edinburgh Imaging Facility RIE)
- Professor Andrew Farrall
- Professor Ian Marshall
- Professor Adam Waldman
- Dr Cyril Pernet
- Dr Michael Thrippleton
EI facility location
|MR||3.0T||Siemens Healthcare||Magnetom Prisma||RIE|
|Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)||Heidelberg Engineering||SPECTRALIS OCT2||RIE|
We are dependent on donations to help push forward the frontiers of science.
We are extremely grateful to the following organisations for major funding support:
- Alzheimer's Society
- British Heart Foundation
- Chief Scientits Office
- Cohen Charitable Trust
- Dunhill Medical Trust
- GE Medical Systems
- Medical Research Council
- MS Society
- National Institute for Health Research Emerging Medicines Evaluation (EME) Board
- National Institute for Health Research Health Technology Assessment Programme
- NHS Lothian Research & Development
- Row Fogo Charitable Trust
- Scottish Academic Health Sciences Collaboration
- Scottish Funding Council
- Stroke Association
- Translational Medicine Research Initiative
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility Edinburgh
- Wyeth / TMRI Ltd
- USA NIH
- Private Donations
Find out more about how to support Edinburgh Imaging Facilities WGH & RIE.
- For research / academic / clinical / industry & collaborator queries: