04 Dec 20. LACI-2 study resumed
An article highlighting the second-largest study ever into lacunar strokes, LACI-2, led by Professor Joanna Wardlaw, was featured in the Scotsman.
- The Scotsman, "Edinburgh University study re-launched into stroke treatment to prevent dementia"
- The British Heart Foundation, "Trial resumes to prevent dementia after a stroke"
The LACI-2 study aims to assess safety & efficacy of inexpensive & widely accessible medication - cilostazol & isosorbide mononitrate to prevent recurrent lacunar stroke & progression of cerebral small vessel disease.
The research suggests that lacunar lesions could also be the underlying cause of nearly half of all dementias.
The study resumed recruiting participants after the break caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- British Heart Foundation
- Professor Joanna Wardlaw
- LACunar Intervention Trial-2 (LACI-2)
- Brain & nervous system
- Small vessel disease (SVD)
- The Scotsman article
- British Heart Foundation article
Social media tags & titles
An article highlighting the second-largest study ever into lacunar strokes, LACI-2, led by Professor Joanna Wardlaw, was featured in the Scotsman. @BHFScotland @TheBHF @EdinUniBrainSci @fergusdoubal @SVDs_at_target @UKDRI @IST_3 @edinburghstroke @WorldStrokeOrg @ESOstroke #SmallVesselDisease #LacunarStroke #LACI2