30 Oct 19. Job - Lecturer in Machine Learning
This is an exciting opportunity to work in AI at the University of Edinburgh, as a Lecturer/Sr Lecturer in Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
Job reference: 050249
Post: Lecturer in Computer Vision and Machine Learning
Salary: University of Edinburgh Grade 8 (£41,526 to £49,553 )
Closing date: 20th December 2019
Applicants can apply here.
The College of Science and Engineering (CSE) is one of the largest and highest-ranked science and engineering groupings in the UK.
The University of Edinburgh is making considerable investments in the are of AI and data science. We are now investing to strengthen and deepen our coverage of data science oriented engineering by appointment to: Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
The successful candidate will be internationally prominent in Machine Learning and Computer Vision, or will demonstrate strong potential to be so. They will undertake teaching duties in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. They will also carry out research into both the theory and engineering applications of computer vision and machine learning.
The level of appointment for the Lecturer/Senior Lecturer post will be determined by the selection panel.
The culture of the School of Engineering and the University is open and diverse and we are committed to reflecting that in our appointment process.
Main Responsibilities - Grade 8
1. Responsibilities: Teaching (approx. 45% of time) Teach up to senior honours and Masters level, in core topics from the curriculum of the Electronics and Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Develop, deliver, manage and review courses appropriate to your specific expertise.
- Develop student research projects and supervise MSc, MEng and BEng students on these projects.
- Provide academic and pastoral support to taught postgraduate (MSc) and undergraduate students.
- Be involved in enhancing eLearning and on-line teaching initiatives.
2. Responsibilities: Research (approx. 45% of time) You will initiate, perform and deliver fundamental and applied research in Computer Vision and Machine Learning that complements and integrates with other appropriate research areas in the School. This post will strengthen and develop existing research activities in the Institute of Digital Communications.
The specific responsibilities for this position are to:
- Initiate, plan, lead, and deliver research of high quality within the area of Computer Vision and Machine Learning and help the Institute of Digital Communications to apply its highly successful theoretical research to new application domains within Engineering. These potentially include materials, infrastructure and biomedicine, where data-centric approaches can ease the analysis burden and help uncover new relationships in complex and heterogeneous data that include imaging and other modalities. The University of Edinburgh aims to build upon its internationally excellent position in this domain.
- Demonstrate research of at least nationally excellent quality and deliver significant publishing activity in quality peer-reviewed research journals; demonstrate the potential to win competitive research funding.
- Engage with and contribute to your sub-group of research staff and students within the Research Institute for Digital Communications (IDCOM) and to collaborate with other researchers in other institutes as appropriate.
- Participate in collaborative research projects within the University of Edinburgh, in the UK and around the world, with academic researchers in the field.
- Develop new research facilities and/or capabilities at Edinburgh, to complement those in existing laboratories and enable analysis, modelling, design and testing in their field of research.
- Undertake knowledge exchange with Scottish and UK Government, regulators and statutory bodies. This will be under standard University approaches and expectations for advice and assistance.
- Develop graduating engineering professionals and early career researchers, by means of BEng, MEng, MSc teaching and doctoral training.
3. Responsibilities: Leadership and Management (approx. 10% of time) You will undertake and deliver appropriate leadership and management duties within the Institute/Discipline/School or the wider University environment.
Examples include acting as the teaching laboratory co-ordinator for the specific teaching discipline, liaising with students undertaking extra-curricular innovation projects, etc.
Essential requirements • PhD and first degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline. • A nationally-evident reputation for performing quality research or potential to achieve this, with demonstrable track record in the area of Machine Learning and Computer Vision. • Ability to win research funding. • Proven ability to conduct collaborative research with academia and industry.
Job Title: Senior Lecturer in Computer Vision and Machine Learning School
Grade 9 - UE09 attracts an annual salary of £52,559 to £59,135 for 35 hours each week
Essential requirements • PhD and first degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline. • An internationally-evident reputation for performing quality research, with demonstrable track record in the area of in the area of Machine Learning and Computer Vision. • Evidence of winning significant research funding. • Significant experience in teaching in teaching relevant courses in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related subjects. • A significant number of high quality peer-reviewed journal and conference publications.
Application deadline for both:
Deadline: 20th December 2019