Edinburgh Imaging

Entry requirements

A good university honours degree (first or 2:1), or equivalent (3.25 GPA), or relevant work / life experience. Also you must meet the English language requirements.

colour brain scan section
Background subjects relevant to our programmes include:
  • Medicine
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Radiology
  • Radiography
  • Radiotherapy
  • Nursing
  • Biological Sciences
  • Biomedical Sciences
  • Pharmacology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Engineering
  • Image Analysis
  • Image Processing
  • Computer Science
  • Informatics


Check specific programmes & courses for more detailed listings of relevant background training.


English language requirements and online support:

English language requirements 

English language teaching centre

Online pre-sessional academic language course


Pre-induction online course in Learn

Open access pre-induction course to students who have received an offer, providing examples of online courses and support.


FAQ: Do I need an English language certificate to study?

  • It depends on what you want to study:
    • ​​​​YES you do, if you want to study for university credit e.g. MSc, Diploma, Certificate, or Personal Professional Development (PgProfDev / PPD)

      • Visit the University of Edinburgh website which explains the English language requirement for credit bearing courses & programmes
    • NO you don't if you want to study our unsupervised, self-directed short courses


Computer keyboard
Computing requirements

Our online programmes and courses require you to access materials, discussion boards, references, activities and other online learning tools, via the internet.

You are responsible for your own technical set-up. We expect you to take responsibility for your access to the programme, make back-ups of your work, and to organise alternate access if required.

You are not expected to be a technical whizz. We provide guidance and training for the tools we use.

The University’s IS department do provide distance learning support; and also on weekdays the Edinburgh Imaging Academy office can also offer advice.


FAQ: Do I need to buy software to participate?

  • NO you do not, if you are studying with us for credit, as a fully matriculated student of the University of Edinburgh
  • If you are taking non-credit bearing courses via our unsupervised, self-directed route, you may need to acquire a software licence