About online learning
Access world class teaching at the University of Edinburgh, while maintaining your local professional & personal commitments where you live, thereby keeping down costs by not being resident in Edinburgh.
Our online programmes and courses require you to access materials, discussion boards, references, activities and other online learning tools, via the internet.
You are responsible for your own technical set-up. We expect you to take responsibility for your access to the programme, make back-ups of your work, and to organise alternate access if required.
You are not expected to be a technical whizz. We provide guidance and training for the tools we use.
The University’s IS department do provide distance learning support; and also on weekdays the Edinburgh Imaging Academy office can also offer advice.
FAQ: Do I need to buy software to participate?
- NO you do not, if you are studying with us for credit, as a fully matriculated student of the University of Edinburgh
- If you are taking non-credit bearing courses via our unsupervised, self-directed route, you may need to acquire a software licence
In order to study online, you will need the commitment to study independently.
Ask yourself some of the questions below to test your readiness:
- Do I have access to a computer and the Internet?
- How reliable are my personal computer and internet service provider?
- Do I have adequate computer skills?
- Am I confident about computer technology?
- Am I able to fit study in and around my work, my family and my other commitments?
- Can I log on to the University's online learning environment at least twice a week?
- Can I commit to studying for around 10 - 20 hours per week depending on course load?
- Am I able to complete tasks on time?
- Am I self motivated?
- Can I read and write English?
- Do I have competent and efficient keyboard skills?
You should answer "yes" to these questions.
Some people learn well in a traditional training environment while others prefer a different style such as online training.
Only you can decide which method of learning is right for you.
See what our online learning environment is like and test your computing system: