This informative and interactive course combines a variety of teaching and learning techniques to advance the practical, theoretical and personal skills necessary for the care of critically ill surgical patients. This is an assessed course and certificates will only be awarded upon successful completion of the entire course. In addition to courses held at RCS London, CCrISP is available regionally.
Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient
Intending participants should be aware that this course will cover basic principles which are transferrable to all specialties; however, the worked examples will all be taken from general surgical patients.
- Develop the theoretical basis and practical skills necessary to manage the critically ill surgical patient
- Be able to assess critically ill patients accurately and appreciate the value of a system of assessment for the critically ill
- Understand the subtlety and variety of presentation of critical illness and the methods available for improving detection
- Understand the importance of a plan of action in order to achieve clinical progress, accurate diagnosis and early definitive treatment, and be able to formulate a plan of action and involve appropriate assistance in a timely manner.
- Appreciate that complications tend to occur in a cascade and realise that prevention of complications is fundamental to successful outcome
- Be aware of the support facilities available and interact with nursing staff, other surgeons, intensivists and anaesthetists, being aware in particular of the surgeon’s role in the delivery of multidisciplinary care to the critically ill
- Understand the requirements of the patients and their relatives during critical illness and be able to inform and support both appropriately
Care for the Critically Ill Surgical Patient CCrISP Course 2018
49 Little France Crescent