Our team provides a service for targeted small molecule analysis. We use separation by chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis. We offer a number of validated quantitative assays and also develop novel analytical methods tailored to researcher-specific questions and needs.
Our Mass Spectrometry core offers:
- A Complete Service - sample receipt and storage, sample preparation, instrument analysis, data interpretation and reporting.
- Analytical Research - Training in Chromatography and MS technology. Assay Development for novel methods
- Open Access - Independent use of instrumentation following Training or prior knowledge
Celebrating the widespread use of Mass Spectrometry
For more videos and information on Mass Spectrometry world wide go to the Masses for the Masses website.
CMVM Core Facilities Fair Publication Policy
"It is important to recognise the contributions of technical staff to research in all instances. Core facilities in particular provide the wider research community with state-of-the-art instrumentation and expertise, which actively adds to and improves research outputs and funding bids, and without which the College could not operate. The following fair publication policy applies across the College."
Instrumentation and Equipment within the Mass Spectrometry Core
- Sciex QTrap 5500 LC-MS/MS (Sciex) with SelexION (differential ion mobility) with ESI, APCI and APPI sources and interfaced to an Acquity UPLC-MS/MS (Waters). Metabolite identification software
- ThermoFisher Quantum Ultra GC-MS/MS (ThermoFisher) with split/splitless, PTV and headspace injectors, direct insertion probe and EI, PCI and NCI sources
- Voyager GC-MS with EI and NCI sources
- Waters Xevo TQS tandem mass spectrometer with Waters I-Class UPLC
- Waters Synapt G2Si with DESI and MALDI capability and M-class (microflow)
- Solid Phase Extraction vacuum manifolds
- High-throughput sample preparation systems including 96-well evaporator and 96-well vacuum manifold
- Nitrogen Generated for high purity sample concentration
Established quantitative Mass Spectrometry assays we offer in clinical samples
- Simultaneous assays for endogenous Steroids in plasma and serum
- Glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids (cortisol, cortisone, corticosterone, 11-dehydrocorticosterone, deoxycortisol, deoxycorticosterone, aldosterone)
- Androgens (testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone, androstenedione)
- Estrogens (estradiol, estrone, estriol and 2 and 4-hydroxyestrogens, 2 and 4-methoxyestrogens)
- Urinary Steroid profiles: Glucocorticoid and Androgen Metabolites
- Synthetic Steroids: Mifepristone (RU38486), dexamethasone, 11-dehydrodexamethasone, 6-hydroxy-dexamethasone, alfaxolone, Canrenone, Spironolactone
- Diuretics: Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) ,trichlormethiazide (TCZ)
- Anti-diabetic agents: metformin, glyburide, gliclazide
- Statins (e.g. Simvastatin)
- Paracetamol and Phase I and Phase II metabolites (Acetaminophen), Phenacetin, Paracetamol phase I and II metabolites (mercapturate-acetaminophen, glutathione-acetaminophen, acetaminophen-sulphate, 3-cysteinyl-acetaminophen, acetaminophen-glucuronide)
- Tryptophan and Kynurenine metabolites (3-Hydroxy Kynurenine, 3-hydroxyanthranilic Acid, Anthranilic Acid, Xanthurenic Acid, Kynurenic Acid, Quinolinic Acid, Tryptophan, 5-hydroxytryptophan)
- Vitamin D (VitDAL)
- Endocannabinoids: Anandamide, 2-arachidonylglycerol (2-AG)
- Prostatic therapies: 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (finasteride, dutasteride), tamsulosin
- Pharmacology: e.g. Rocuronium, Lidocaine, Isoflurane
- Stable isotope tracers of metabolism: isotopically labelled fatty acids (13C-palmitate), D2-glucose, D5-glycerol, D4-cortisol, D8-corticosterone
- Microsomal Stability assays - including lidocaine, propranolol, verapamil and diclofenac
We are able to adapt existing published methods or develop novel analytical quantitative methods. Analysis can be conducted in a wide range of biomatrices supporting both clinical and preclinical studies.