Professor David Owens
Professor David Owens is Chair of Clinical Psychiatry in the Division of Psychiatry.
- Division of Psychiatry
- Centre for Clinical Brain Sciencse
- Email: David.Owens@ed.ac.uk
Professor Owens trained initially in general medicine and neurology before entering psychiatry. He was an MRC Training Fellow at the Clinical Research Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, London where he subsequently worked as Consultant Psychiatrist and member of the External Scientific Staff of the MRC before moving to Edinburgh in 1992. All Prof Owens’ research has been clinically based and he remains one of the last clinical academics in the UK to participate in routine, sector-based, general psychiatric practice. In addition to maintaining his research interests, he is actively involved in drug regulation at the UK and European level and in teaching. He is currently a member of the Commission on Human Medicines and the Examinations Subcommittee of the Royal College of Psychiatrists charged with setting, standardising and monitoring the MRCPsych examination.
The biology of psychoses, especially schizophrenia Psychopharmacology, especially of antipsychotic drugs
Markers of esteem
- Psychiatric Commissioner, Commission on Human Medicines
- Chair, Neurology, Psychiatry and Pain Expert Advisory Group, CHM
- Member, Scientific Advisory Group (Psychiatry), European Medicines Agency
- Chair, Secretary of State for Transport’s Honorary Advisory Panel on Driving and Psychiatry