Other support services
Support services available across the University and other organisations in Edinburgh
Support within the University
The University has a wide variety of mental health and wellbeing services. Some events put a focus on the academic aspects of University life such as essay writing and exam preparation. Others offer the opportunity to learn about the steps you can take to help with common difficulties like ‘being stuck’ or ‘low confidence.’
There are drop ins, workshops and courses to teach you skills you can apply more widely like Mindfulness and Tai chi.
- The Advice Place: general advice for all University of Edinburgh students
- Careers Service: careers support for students
- Centre for Sport & Exercise
- Chaplaincy Events
- Chaplaincy Listening Service
- Health Centre: the University Health Centre provides healthcare for students who live within its practice boundary, but if you live further from the University you may have to register with a different provider: please check first.
- Institute for Academic Development
- International Student Centre
- Staff Counselling: free, confidential and available to all staff
- Student Counselling Service: free and available to all students.
- Student Disability Service: support for students with disabilities of any kind
- Togetherall: a peer and community support network, to which the University is subscribed
Other support services
Below is a list of some of the organisations in Edinburgh who provide support around mental health and wellbeing.
- Health in Mind
- Nightline - for students in Edinburgh (call 0131 557 4444, 8pm-8am). Overnight support during term-time, staffed by student volunteers
- The Samaritans
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre
- Edinburgh Crisis Centre
Help outside term time
Outside term time, most of the services above will still operate during the week, with the exception of Nightline, and the Chaplains can still be contacted via Security on 0131 650 2257, even at night.
If you would rather not speak to a member of University staff, the Samaritans can be contacted on the link above, or by telephoning 08457 909090.
The service Togetherall linked above also operates outside term time, and is an anonymous peer support and community network - your postings cannot be identified.