Religion and Belief Literacy
The University Multi-faith and Belief Chaplaincy provides pastoral and spiritual support, courses and spiritual practices, for students and staff of all faiths and none
Support from The Chaplaincy
Our multi-faith and belief team represents over 15 different religious and belief traditions. Please click here to read more. We are often sought for advice and training on practical matters around religion and belief as they affect university life, such as questions about prayer spaces, food, dress, accommodation, hygiene, fasting, freedom of speech, and religious festivals.
Please be in touch if you would like to discuss any such matters. You may also find the resources below helpful.
Multifaith Festivals Calendar
There are a wide variety of religious festivals and holy days. The Interfaith Network UK has information about religious holy days and festivals, including short descriptions for each. Click here to view the 2022 Calendar.
Case Studies and Videos
- Case-studies for frequently arising scenarios, produced by the UK-based Religious Literacy in Higher Education Leadership research project.
- Harvard’s Religious Literacy Project has multiple vidoes, case-studies and courses.
- Five videos (c 4 minutes each) outline five of the major religious traditions . Click here to watch these.
- Resources for educators from Harvard Relgious Literacy Project.
- This 2 minute animation from Harvard University's Religious Literacy Project explores three widespread misunderstandings about religion.
- Resources from the Interfaith Network of the United Kingdom to support Interfaith Dialogue, (the cooperative, constructive, and positive interaction between people of different religious traditions spiritual or humanistic beliefs, to promote understanding and increase acceptance of others.). Click here to explore these.
- Yale University (one of the world's top universities, based in Connecticut, USA) offers two free courses online - one on the New Testament, and one on the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible). Click here to view now.
Other online resources for learning about religion and belief
- EIFA - Edinburgh Interfaith Association
- Interfaith Scotland
- UK Inter-Faith Network
- Richard Rohr - Action and Contemplation
- World Centre for Christian Meditation
- Sacred Space - a daily prayer resource (Christian)
- Pray As You Go - a daily prayer resource (Christian)
- Taize - daily prayers (Christian)
- Iona Community (Christian)
- Heartbeat Journey
- Plum Village mindfulness, run by Thich Nhat Hanh (Buddhist)