Details of Abundant Academy's purpose and programme.
The Abundant Academy purpose and programme
The Abundant Academy programme is designed to enhance our perspective, and train us in habits of replenishment, reflection and collaboration, so that we can move from overwhelm, freneticism, and feeling stuck, to refreshed and thoughtful momentum and fruitfulness. The programme has been developed out of 9-years work with University of Edinburgh students and staff, on the ‘What’s the University for?’ Series, our ‘Slow University’ initiative, and collaborations with universities around the world on bringing Compassion into the structures and ethos of Higher Education.
The facilitator, Revd Dr Harriet Harris, is an experienced university lecturer, researcher, and academic writer, and has been a Chaplain for twenty years’, at the Universities of Oxford and Edinburgh, supporting students and staff with the pressures of university life. She is a Priest in the Scottish Episcopal Church, and provides training for ministry. She is also a Trainer with Student Minds, an Associate Fellow of the Clinical Educator Programme, a trainer in Self-care and Compassion including for the NHS and Scottish Government, and a Certified Coach with One of Many™, the UK’s largest network for women in leadership.
The core Abundant Academy programme is accompanied by a wide variety of weekly opportunities and additional courses – our ‘Library of Abundance’ which are open to students and staff whether or not they are enrolled on the core programme. They draw on the Chaplaincy team’s expertise in leading groups and individuals in deep reflective and transformative work, including Mindfulness, Mentoring, Coaching, Deep Listening, and Spiritual Direction.
We hope that the Abundant Academy will support us to:
- Replenish, and model replenishment for others: acquiring habits that keep overwhelm and burnout confidently at bay, and support our identity and belonging, so that we can grow a sense of abundance, spaciousness, courage to reconnect even with what feels difficult for us, and time to reflect.
- Reconnect, with ourselves and others, and with the source of life: reconnecting with our life-story, emotional drivers, and values, responding to procrastination, and releasing feelings beliefs and behaviours that have caused us to feel stuck. Reconnecting is the route to uncovering our sense of purpose, integrity, joy, and the difference we make to the world. It opens us to a sense spaciousness and abundance so that we can respond wisely and compassionately, rather than reactively, frenetically, or desperately, to the challenges we face.
- Realise, and empower realisation in those around you: finding the steps to take the collaborations to make, and the support to harness, for fostering cultures and communities that we wish to inhabit and nurture, where life can be lived in all its abundance.
The Core Programme
The Abundant Academy flagship programme is a 2-semester programme comprising three core courses: ‘Replenish’, ‘Reconnect’ and ‘Realise’ (the 3Rs!). ‘Replenish’ and ‘Reconnect’ can each be taken as stand-alone courses. ‘Realise’ works as a follow-on from either or both of the earlier courses. Participants who are able to sign up to all three courses cultivate increasingly fertile ground for growing their visions and projects. They benefit from the supportive network that they create for one another, and also begin to see their projects take root.
By the end of any Abundant Academy course, participants have a network which they have fostered, and with whom they can continue to meet and enjoy mutual support. They are invited to join the Abundant Academy Community, which meets monthly for facilitated gatherings, on-going coaching, and personal check-ins on whatever is important to us in our lives right now.
All core courses are running online until further notice.
Replenish, and model replenishment for others
5x2 hours, fortnightly, Semester 1
- Continual Replenishment, why we need it and how we can get it
- Understanding disempowered behaviour; handling our internal ‘frenemies’ (inner critic, pusher, pleaser, imposter, perfectionist…).
- Harnessing empowering archetypes
- Meeting our needs; powerful compassion; radical replenishment
- Overwhelm first aid; supporting one another in stressful times
2pm-4pm, Thursdays, fortnightly, 7 Oct – 2 Dec 2021
10am-12noon, Fridays, fortnightly, 8 Oct – 3 Dec 2021
(Nb, no session on Friday 5 Nov, due to COP26 Compassion conference. The 5 Nov group will be invited to the 4 Nov afternoon session, and all Replenish participants will be invited to the compassion at Cop26 event, info forthcoming.)
Reconnect, with ourselves and others, and with the source of life
5x2 hours, fortnightly, Semester 2
- A primer on replenishment and empowerment
- Understanding and processing our emotions
- Discovering our values and unconscious driver
- Responding to procrastination and what gets us stuck
- Finding wisdom for the next steps
2pm-4pm, Thursdays, fortnightly, 3 Feb – 31 Mar 2022
10am-12noon, Fridays, fortnightly, 4 Feb – 1 Apr 2022
Book here for the Thursday cohort.
Book here for the Friday cohort.
For further information please email Harriet at firstname.lastname@example.org
Realise, and empower realisation with others
3x2 hours, consecutive weeks, post-Semester break (May)
- Tuning into our deep-rooted desires, and exploring meaning and purpose
- Creating networks of support and collaboration
- Inspired, visionary planning (outwith SMART goals)
2pm-4pm, Thursdays, weekly, 5-19 May 2022
10am-12noon, Fridays, weekly, 6-20 May 2022
Donations for Abundant Academy Courses
We collect a donation for the core programme. Employers are often willing to cover this cost as part of staff development, so if relevant to you, do ask your line-manager:
- £75 for Replenish
- £75 for Reconnect
- £45 for Realise
- OR, £180 flat fee for the whole year
- £30 for Replenish
- £30 for Reconnect
- £15 for Realise
- OR, £70 flat fee for the whole year
We offer bursaries. If the donation prohibits you from joining, please email Chaplaincy@ed.ac.uk