Revd Dr Harriet Harris is the University Chaplain and Head of the Chaplaincy Service.
She has developed and oversees a large Multi-faith and Humanist Chaplaincy team, and thoroughly enjoys working with them in providing a wide-ranging service to students and staff.
Harriet particularly enjoys bringing people together from right across the University and beyond, to develop ideas and practice on large themes, such as: "What’s the University for?"; "Secular-Religious conversations"; "Learning the art of dying so that we can learn the art of living"; "‘Women and religious Authority’" and "What values are we living by?".
She is a priest in the Scottish Episcopal Church (SEC), and Convenor of the Doctrine Committee of the SEC, which involves overseeing publications on Relationships and Human Intimacy, The Art of Dying Well, The Church and Scottish Identity, and Religion and Science. She takes part in ecumenical and interfaith activities nationally and internationally, including the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Building Bridges dialogues between Muslims and Christians.
Harriet was formerly a University Lecturer in Theology, and continues to teach and write. She is an Honorary Fellow of the Divinity School in Edinburgh. She is currently editing a volume on Atheisms, and has been commissioned to write a narrative of evil!
Books by the Chaplain:
- God, Goodness and Philosophy, ed. Harriet A. Harris (Ashgate 2011).
- The Journey of Christian Initiation: Theological and Pastorial perspectives, with Paul Avis et al (Church House Publishing, 2011).
- Fundamentalism and Evangelicals (Oxford University Press, 1998, 2008).
- Faith Without Hostages: The Cross and Resurrection in our Lives Today (Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 2002).
- The Call for Women Bishops, ed. Harriet A. Harris and Jane Shaw (SPCK, 2004).
- Faith and Philosophical Analysis: The influence of analytical philosophy on philosophy of religion, ed. Harriet A. Harris and Christopher J. Insole (Ashgate, 2005).
Her books from Ashgate can be purchased at a reduced price at the links below: