Professor Andrew Horne
Research interests and grants.
- Chair of Academic Board, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Co-Director EXPPECT Centre for Pelvic Pain and Endometriosis
- Affiliate Member, Usher Institute
The Queen’s Medical Research Institute
47 Little France Crescent
- Post Code
- EH16 4TJ
Please note that, due to NHS Lothian IT Security Policy, I am afraid that I am unable to respond to emails about clinical matters. If you would like me to contact you about a clinical matter, please email Fiona Elliot (my NHS secretary on +44(0)131 242 2525), and include your phone number (and/or address), so that I can get back to you.
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis (EXPPECT Edinburgh)
- Ectopic pregnancy
- NIHR HTA (£2,057,700) 2020-25 “ESPriT2: A multi-centre randomised controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of laparoscopic treatment of isolated superficial peritoneal endometriosis for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” Horne AW (CI), Whitaker L (co-CI), Norrie J, Daniels J, Stephens J, Cooper K, Clark TJ, Becker C, Cheong Y, Thornton J, Maheshwari A, Vincent K, Jackson L, Cox, E, Hummelshoj L, King K
HTA 2020-25 £1,660,141 “Recurrence of Endometriosis: a randomised controlled trial of clinical and cost-effectiveness of Gonadotrophin Releasing Hormone Analogues with add-back hormone replacement therapy versus repeat Laparoscopic surgery (REGAL trial)” Saraswat L (CI), Cooper K, Bhattacharya S, Horne AW, Clark TJ, Becker C, Vyas S, Saridogan E, McLennan G, Scotland G, Gillies K, Jones G.
Chief Scientist Office 2019-2020 (£201,867) “ESPriT: The effectiveness of laparoscopic treatment of isolated superficial peritoneal endometriosis for managing chronic pelvic pain in women: a randomised controlled feasibility trial” AW Horne (CI), J Norrie, K Cooper, J Daniels, E Cox, L Hummelshoj
MRC (￡738,262) 2018-21 "Identifying disease promoting macrophages and tissue-identity in endometriosis” E Greaves (CI), AW Horne, PTK Saunders, S Jenkins
MRC CiC Grant (￡120,172) 2018-21 "EPiC: Phase II single-arm open label clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and side effects of dichloroacetate to treat endometriosis-associated pain” AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, J Daniels
Wellbeing of Women (￡197,039) 2018-21 "EXPEDITE: metabolomics and cytokine profile analysis in biofluids to develop a non-invasive diagnostic test for ectopic pregnancy" D Hapangama (CI), L-Y Lian, K Gemzell-Danielsson, PG Lalitkumar, M Phelan, AW Horne
NIHR (￡165,595) 2018-21 "CRESCENDO: Creating a Clinical Prediction Model to predict Surgical Success in Endometriosis” E Ball (CI), N Marlin, C Rivas, AW Horne, J Allotey, J Dodds, E Cox
MRC (2016-21) ￡302,097 CB2 agonists as a novel treatment for women with endometriosis-associated pain. PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, E Greaves
MRC Programme Grant (￡1,450,704) 2016-21 “Androgens and women’s health: developing new therapies to treat endometrial disorders” PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, HOD Critchley, DA Gibson
EME (￡999,811) 2016-21 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby
HTA (￡2,487,834) 2013-21 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Selected publications from the last five years
- Horne AW, Vincent K, Hewitt CA, Middleton LJ, Koscielniak M, Szubert W, Doust AM, Daniels JP, on behalf of the GaPP2 collaborative. Randomised controlled trial of gabapentin for chronic pelvic pain in women. Lancet 2020 (in press).
- Horne AW, Wheelhouse N, Horner PJ, Duncan WC; for the CHARM Collaborative Group. Association of past Chlamydia trachomatis infection with miscarriage. JAMA Network Open 2020 (in press).
- Chu JJ, …. Horne AW, Quenby S, Coomarasamy A. Mifepristone and misoprostol versus misoprostol alone for the management of missed miscarriage (MifeMiso): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2020 S0140-6736(20)31788-8.
- Hickey M, Missmer SA, Horne AW. Women should only be diagnosed with endometriosis if they have both visible lesions and symptoms. BMJ 2020 (published online on 11.08.20).
- Horne AW, Saunders PTK. Endometriosis. Cell 2019 179(7):1677-1677e1.
- Horne AW, Ahmad SF, Carter R, Simitsidellis I, Greaves E, Hogg C, Morton NM, Saunders PTK. Repurposing dichloroacetate for the treatment of women with endometriosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2019 116(51):25389-25391.
- Coomarasamy A, Devall AJ, …., Horne A, Jurkovic D. A Randomized Trial of Progesterone in Women with Bleeding in Early Pregnancy. N Engl J Med 2019 380(19):1815-1824.
- Horne AW, Vincent K, Cregg R, Daniels J. Is gabapentin effective for women with unexplained chronic pelvic pain? BMJ 2017 358:j3520.
- Kvaskoff M, Horne AW, Missmer SA. Informing women with endometriosis about ovarian cancer risk. Lancet 2017 390(10111):2433-2434.
- Horne AW, Saunders PTK, Abokhrais IM, Hogg L; Endometriosis Priority Setting Partnership Steering Group. Top ten endometriosis research priorities in the UK and Ireland. Lancet 2017 389(10085):2191-2192.
- Dr Lucy Whitaker (Clinical Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology)
- Mrs Ann Doust (Research Portfolio Manager)
- Mrs Nicola Watson (Research Nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (Research Midwife)
- Ms Lauren Sutherland (Research Assistant)
- Ms Ashleigh Symington (Research Assistant)
- Mr Jordan Doust (Research Administrator)
- Ms Heather Flannigan (PhD Student)
- Chair of Academic Board, RCOG
- Co-Director EXPPECT Centre for Pelvic Pain and Endometriosis
- Past Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- Academic Representative for the RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Past member of the ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Deputy Editor of Human Reproduction Open
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
- UK ESHRE Representative