Professor Andrew Horne
Research interests and grants.
- Chair of Academic Board, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Co-Director EXPPECT Centre for Pelvic Pain and Endometriosis
- Affiliate Member, Usher Institute
The Queen’s Medical Research Institute
47 Little France Crescent
- Post Code
- EH16 4TJ
Please note that, due to NHS Lothian IT Security Policy, I am afraid that I am unable to respond to emails about clinical matters. If you would like me to contact you about a clinical matter, please email Fiona Elliot (my NHS secretary on +44(0)131 242 2525), and include your phone number (and/or address), so that I can get back to you.
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis (EXPPECT Edinburgh)
- Ectopic pregnancy
HTA 2020-25 £1,660,141 “Recurrence of Endometriosis: a randomised controlled trial of clinical and cost-effectiveness of Gonadotrophin Releasing Hormone Analogues with add-back hormone replacement therapy versus repeat Laparoscopic surgery (REGAL trial)” Saraswat L (CI), Cooper K, Bhattacharya S, Horne AW, Clark TJ, Becker C, Vyas S, Saridogan E, McLennan G, Scotland G, Gillies K, Jones G.
Chief Scientist Office 2019-2020 (£201,867) “ESPriT: The effectiveness of laparoscopic treatment of isolated superficial peritoneal endometriosis for managing chronic pelvic pain in women: a randomised controlled feasibility trial” AW Horne (CI), J Norrie, K Cooper, J Daniels, E Cox, L Hummelshoj
MRC (￡738,262) 2018-21 "Identifying disease promoting macrophages and tissue-identity in endometriosis” E Greaves (CI), AW Horne, PTK Saunders, S Jenkins
MRC CiC Grant (￡120,172) 2018-19 "EPiC: Phase II single-arm open label clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and side effects of dichloroacetate to treat endometriosis-associated pain” AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, J Daniels
Wellbeing of Women (￡197,039) 2018-21 "EXPEDITE: metabolomics and cytokine profile analysis in biofluids to develop a non-invasive diagnostic test for ectopic pregnancy" D Hapangama (CI), L-Y Lian, K Gemzell-Danielsson, PG Lalitkumar, M Phelan, AW Horne
NIHR (￡165,595) 2018-19 "CRESCENDO: Creating a Clinical Prediction Model to predict Surgical Success in Endometriosis” E Ball (CI), N Marlin, C Rivas, AW Horne, J Allotey, J Dodds, E Cox
Ferring Research Innovation Grant ($70,000) 2017-18 “Targeting TGFß-1 with an extracellular peptide inhibitor to treat women with peritoneal endometriosis” AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, SF Ahmad
HTA 2017-2019 (￡1,800,000) MifeMiso: A randomised placebo-controlled trial of mifepristone and misoprostol versus misoprostol alone in the medical management of missed miscarriage. A Coomarasamy (CI), AW Horne, H Williams, J Chu, J Daniels, L Middleton, L Jones, T Roberts, I Goranitis, M Shehmar, M Choudhary, K Hinshaw, J Ross, D Jurkovic, L Watkins, J Walker, P Gupta, R Small, F Izzat, I Granne, Y Cheong, S Quenby, S Thangaratinam, J Thorton
Wellbeing of Women (2016-18) ￡198,864 Novel repurposing of anticancer drugs to treat endometriosis. AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, P Fowler, C Becker, D Hapangama, K Zondervan, S Sundar, MC Jones, E Greaves
MRC (2016-18) ￡302,097 CB2 agonists as a novel treatment for women with endometriosis-associated pain. PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, E Greaves
MRC Programme Grant (￡1,450,704) 2016-21 “Androgens and women’s health: developing new therapies to treat endometrial disorders” PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, HOD Critchley, DA Gibson
EME (￡999,811) 2016-20 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby
Wellcome Trust (￡237,55) 2015-2018 Clinical Research Training Fellowship [Campbell] AW Horne, N Gray
EME (￡1,208,722) 2015-19 “GaPP2: A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” AW Horne (CI), K Vincent, J Daniels, L Middleton, G Macfarlane, Y Cheong, A Baranowski, A Williams, J Birch, S Bhattacharya
HTA (￡1,962,989) 2015-19 “PRISM: Effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: A placebo-controlled randomised trial” A Coomaraswamy (CI), AW Horne, C Overton, C Bottomley, W Duncan, D Jurkovic,D Feroza, H Harb, J Daniels, J Norman, K Hinshaw, L Middleton, MA Lumsden, N Raine-Fenning, R Farquharson, R Bender-Atik, S Quenby, T Bourne, T Roberts
HTA (￡2,487,834) 2013-19 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Reactions in the media
- Mrs Ann Doust (Research Portfolio Manager)
- Dr Magdalena Koscielniak (Clinical Trials Manager)
- Dr Furquan Ahmad (Post-Doctoral Scientist)
- Mrs Nicola Watson (Research Nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (Research Midwife)
- Ms Lauren Sutherland (Research Assistant)
- Ms Ashleigh Symington (Research Assistant)
- Mr Jordan Doust (Research Administrator)
- Ms Heather Flannigan (PhD Student)
- Ms Chloe Hogg (PhD Student)
University of Edinburgh:
- Hilary Critchley (CRH)
- Colin Duncan (CRH)
- Philippa Saunders (CIR)
- Sarah Howie (CIR)
- Gary Entrican (Moredun Research Institute)
- Siladitya Bhattacharya (Aberdeen University)
- Katy Vincent (University of Oxford)
- Jane Daniels (University of Nottingham)
- Stephen Tong (University of Monash Melbourne)
- Kevin Cooper (University of Aberdeen)
- Erin Greaves (Warwick)
- Ferring, Astra Zeneca, Roche, Nordic Pharma
- Chair of Academic Board, RCOG
- Co-Director EXPPECT Centre for Pelvic Pain and Endometriosis
- Past Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- Academic Representative for the RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Past member of the ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Deputy Editor of Human Reproduction Open
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
- UK ESHRE Representative
- Che Bakri NA, Busby-Earle C, Steel R, Horne AW. ‘Pelvic and Reproductive System Symptoms’ In ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Ed Burton. Wiley-Blackwell 2013 ISBN: 978-1-119-96725-5.
- Svingalam V, Wilson J, Horne AW. ‘Novel pain relief agents in endometriosis’ In World Clinics Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Eds Bhattacharya, Arora. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd (in press).
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Medical Therapies for Pain – Progestins’ In Endometriosis: Science and Practice. Eds Giudice, Evers, Healy. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-1-4443-3213-1.
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’. In Dewhurst’s 8th Edition. Ed Edmonds. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-0-470-65457-6.
- Horne AW, Ford CM. ‘The normal menstrual cycle’ and Horne AW, ‘Disorders of the menstrual cycle’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 19th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2011 ISBN: 978-0-340-983-546.
- Munro KI, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. Amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea and hypogonadal-pituitary function. In Gynaecology, 4th Edition. Eds Shaw, Luesly, Monga. Churchill Livingston 2010 ISBN: 978-0-7020-3120-5.
- Maybin J, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’ and ‘Benign Gynaecological Disorders’. In Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology; the essential curriculum, 1st Edition. Eds Sarris, Saxena, Bewley. Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-921847-9.
- Horne AW. ‘Implantation and early pregnancy’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 20th Edition. CRC Press 2017 ISBN: 978-1-4987-4428-7.
- Campbell LL, Horne AW (2018). Ectopic and Heterotopic Pregnancies. In M. K. Skinner (Ed) Encyclopedia of Reproduction. Vol 5 pp 311–316. Academic Press: Elsevier 2018 ISBN: 9780128118993.