CRH takes part in Science Insights
There was great excitement as CRH staff welcomed S5 students back into the labs in July for Science Insights 2022.
Science Insights is an exciting work experience programme designed to give fifth year Scottish high school pupils a true insight into the work and life of research scientists.
This dynamic work experience programme gives students a real insight into the work of research scientists as well as valuable hands on experience.
CRH staff involved in this year’s programme include:
• Triin Õunapuu: Prof Carmel Moran ran a lab taster in ultrasound which Triin helped to facilitate.
• Rocio Aguilar Martinez ran a taster session in the Maybin lab.
• Francesca Hearn-Yeates (Horne lab) was involved in the CMVM student session on 29.07.22
The high school students spent a week of their summer holidays (w/c 25 July) following a varied programme of online activities hosted by staff from four different University of Edinburgh campuses, gaining a real insight into research and work in many different areas of biological, biomedical and animal sciences.
The annual programme – launched in 2014 – now involves all six research institutes in the University of Edinburgh College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, providing access to its cutting-edge facilities and inspiring researchers. Activities in Science Insights Online included:
- Virtual tours of a range of scientific facilities
- Presentations, workshops and discussions on topics including research ethics, the use of animals in research and careers in science
- Opportunities for online group chats and Q&A’s with current University of Edinburgh students and researchers
- Skills session to help with future university applications
Well done to the CRH staff and students that made Science Insights possible and we look forward to our involvement in 2023. It was fantastic to welcome such an engaged group of young people and we wish them every success with their future career goals.