Careers Service

How we can help

How and when to refer students to us and different ways we can help

We work with students and graduates in a variety of ways and offer a range of support. We want you to feel confident in sign-posting to us and also knowing when - and how - to refer students.  Here is some advice to help you.

What we can help with:

  • Advice and guidance - support with career choice, decision making and career strategy
  • School-specific careers information
  • Work experience and internships - finding work experience, internships and hidden vacancies
  • Careers events, fairs and workshops  - talks, workshops and panel events to inspire and inform; opportunities to meet employers and alumni
  • MyDevelopmentHub - portal to the diverse range of personal development opportunities open to students
  • Recruitment and selection - feedback on applications, personal statements and practice interviews

Students can also:

  • Access our events, workshops, jobs and internships on our portal MyCareerHub.
  • Start by looking at the resources on the Careers website -
  • Talk to our Information Advisers at our Information Centres
  • Book an appointment with a Careers Consultant via MyCareerHub
  • Use the ‘Ask A Question’ facility on MyCareerHub

When to refer students to us:

  • If they want to explore possible options  - or they are trying to weigh up different options
  • if they want to discuss how they can recognise and develop their skillset
  • if they need help finding and using careers information
  • if they are confused or a bit stuck in their thinking
  • if they need advice on gaining specific experience

We can also support students if they are having doubts or anxiety about their degree choice, choosing to leave their course – or having to do so.

In most cases, you can encourage a student to book an appointment themselves via MyCareerHub. However, there might be some circumstances where you feel it’s more appropriate to approach us directly (with the student’s permission).  You can contact the link consultant for your School or do this via your School Support team.:

Link Career Consultants