Careers Support for Staff
The Careers Service is able to provide career development support for academic research-only staff and early career academic teaching staff.
Academic research-only staff includes research assistants and associates, post-docs, and research fellows; and early career academic teaching staff includes teaching assistants and teaching fellows. This does not include academic staff on open-ended lecturing contracts.
Resources to support your career planning
Although you are a member of research staff you may find the resources on the PhD student section of our website of use. They give an overview of career options after a research degree, including information about how to develop an academic career, and how to generate and research other career ideas. There are video case studies from academic staff at the University giving tips on how to develop an academic career, and advice on both academic and non-academic applications and interviews.
Career Management Workshops
We offer career management workshops including:
- Career Strategies for Researchers; a one day course to help you consider your career options
- Changing Careers; 2 short courses on what you want from a career and, exploring career options
- Getting the First Lecturing Job; a short workshop on strategies for gaining relevant experience
- CV Briefing session; a 1.5 hour session on what makes a good CV, for academic and non-academic job applications
- Introduction to MBTI Personality Type; an aid to working in teams and managing people
Book a place on a Career Development Workshop
Individual Career Development Consultations
We also offer individual career development consultations with a careers consultant. These are confidential, and are available at any time throughout your employment as researcher at the University. They can be used for many purposes including:
- Discussing your career options and strategies
- Practical advice on preparing a targeted CV or application form
- Undertaking a practice job interview for a role you have applied for
Career support for other University of Edinburgh staff
Staff who are at risk of redundancy will find information on career transition support on the HR webpages.