Programme Details 2021/22
Read details for the 2021/22 programme and register your interest in hiring an intern
- 8, 10, or 12 week summer internships starting on the 6th June 2022.
- Internships are only open to all 2nd to penultimate year undergraduate students.
- Interns are paid at point one of grade UoE3 (spinal point 7).
- The cost of employing a full time intern for 12 weeks, with on-costs, would be £4703 (based on HR Employment Costs ).
If you would like to host an intern, you should check you have approval to recruit through the post approval process in your area. Please contact your budget holder and local HR team for advice on this. You can then register your interest to hire an intern below.
We understand that the current Covid-19 pandemic means that there is continued uncertainty. We are continuing to support departments who are able to recruit an intern, including guidance to help you interview and host your intern remotely.
- Register your interest and get approval to recruit: Sept – Dec
- Register your interest here
- Contact your budget holder and local HR for advice getting approval to recruit. It is likely that you will need to complete a Job Requisition Business Case Form
- As People and Money is still a new system we advise that you get in touch with your local recruitment administrator, check your access, and familiarise yourself with People and Money as early as possible in the recruitment process.
- Complete a job specification by Friday 10th December. See 'Recruitment details' below
- Internships and Work Experience Team review and return job specs in early January.
- Once we have assessed the suitability of the internship for the programme, your department will be responsible for inputting the role into People and Money, organising approvals and arranging the appointment.
- Deadline for recruitment approvals on People and Money: end of January.
- Internships advertised and promoted to students: February
- Shortlisting and interviews: March
- Interns start: 6th June 2022
Interns should be recruited in broadly the same way as regular employees. The recruitment process should be rigorous and open to encourage fair and equal access to your opportunity for all applicants.
Please complete the job specification template using the guidance below and return to the Careers Service via the form at the bottom of this section by 10th December.
Guidance for completing your job spec :
- Read the planning your internship webpage before completing your job spec
- Try to keep your job spec simple and free from jargon.
- Person specification advice:
This is where you will list the essential and desirable knowledge, skills, and experience required for the internship. This is also what candidates will use to shape their application, and what you will use to assess candidates against each other.
We recommend a maximum of 5 essential and 3 desirable skills - this will encourage a broad range of applicants. Identify skills that are truly essential (a student cannot do the job without them, and their development would be hindered without them). For the student, the internship is an opportunity to both use their existing skills and develop new ones.
Including a list of the skills a student will gain can make the internship more attractive to applicants.
A benefit of the internship programme is gaining a fresh perspective, therefore we encourage you not to specify students from certain schools
To ensure that the internships are available to all students, regardless of their other commitments, we encourage you to consider being flexible with the hours required to complete the project (e.g reduced/compressed hours or days). In order for students to make the most of the programme we would recommend hours from 20 – 35 per week.
The Careers Service can provide a shortlisting service for vacancies that receive over 15 applications. This will be sent to you within ten days of the closing date. We will provide a matrix with a recommended shortlist along with all other applications. Host managers will make the final decisions.
Please contact the Internships and Work Experience Team for further support: email@example.com