Information for students
The Careers Service, in collaboration with a range of University of Edinburgh departments, offers a structured internship programme - Employ.ed on Campus - for 2nd, 3rd and penultimate year undergraduate students during the summer.
- Gain paid work experience at the University
- Take part in a programme of support: induction day, interim and end of placement event.
- Complete an Edinburgh Award where you will enhance your employability, self-reflection, and learn how to articulate your experience to future employers
I hugely enjoyed my work placement, I've grown a lot, overcome challenges and feel more confident in myself as a result. It has truly been an invaluable experience for me.
Who can apply?
- Current 2nd, 3rd and penultimate year undergraduate students matriculated at the University of Edinburgh.
- Students studying via distance learning courses or visiting the University on an exchange programme are not eligible
- If you have previously participated in the Employ.ed on Campus programme you are not eligible to apply
- Most roles are open to students from all Schools. Details of specific criteria will be in each job advert.
Application process and support:
- Most internships have now been advertised and closed on the 23rd Feb.
- There may be some additional or re-advertised roles. These will be advertised on MyCareerHub, and the closing date will be on the advert.
- To apply you will be asked to complete an application form on MyCareerHub. You will need to upload a CV and answer application questions.
- Get support with your application or interview:
Recruitment timeline (this will be delayed for additional/re-advertised roles):
- 23.59 23rd February - applications close
- From mid March - you will hear the outcome of your application
- 16th March - 3rd April - interviews are likely to take place
- 28th May - Intern induction morning
- All internships will start in June, and most are either 10 or 12 weeks long.
With the current uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, we wanted to update you on the position for the Employ.ed on Campus Internships 2020.
Currently the University remains open with many services continuing to operate as usual (although moving online in many places) – including the recruitment processes for Employ.ed on Campus. We are working with line managers to move the interview process online where necessary – for example by using Skype.
This is a challenging situation for us all, and we recognise that many of you are trying to make key decisions at a time of huge uncertainty. We are here to support you and answer your questions as far as we can. But please be aware:
- The current position is that we cannot guarantee that all internships will take place this summer.
- If an internship you applied to is cancelled then you will hear from us or the hiring department as soon as possible.
- In general there may be a delay in you hearing the outcome of your application as we, and many other departments, may be remote working or have reduced staff working.
- The interview and potentially your internship may take place online
We will continue to keep you updated.
Careers Service updates: https://www.ed.ac.uk/careers/about-us/coronavirus-faqs
University updates: https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/covid-19
Please contact the Internships and Work Experience Team for more information about the scheme: Employ.firstname.lastname@example.org