Careers Service

Working in the UK after your studies

Information and advice for international students who wish to work in the UK after graduation

The UK graduate job market

Graduates from the University of Edinburgh are employed in every sector of industry and commerce. The UK graduate job market is made up of small, medium and large sized employers.

Visas and Immigration

For the most up to date information and for individual advice students should refer to the Student Immigration Service. Careers Service staff are not qualified to advise on visas. This page covers how to communicate with employers about your visa status.

Working short-term in the UK

You are likely to have a few months between finishing your course and your visa expiry date during which you could work in the UK.

Looking for graduate work in the UK talk

This online version of our looking for graduate work in the UK talk gives you the opportunity to access one of our most popular talks at a time and place that's convenient to you.

National insurance

Everyone who works in the UK needs a National Insurance Number. If you are planning to work in the UK in any capacity then it is worth applying for your National Insurance Number as early as you can. Find out how to do this here:

National Insurance and tax guide 2019-20

Explaining your qualifications

Employers may not understand qualifications gained in non-UK countries. Advice on how to  explain your qualifications can be found on MyCareerHub:Explaining UK and International Qualifications to Employers