Discover Careers (2024 Date TBC)
The below information relates to our 2023 offering. We are aiming to provide a similar opportunity for you to connect with students and graduates in the academic year 2024/25 and are currently reviewing what this offering will look like.
If you are interested in being added to our mailing list to be kept up to date on booking any of our events or services, please email the team to discuss. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Details for organisations
When: Select one of the following:
- Tuesday 3 October, 13:00 - 18:00
- Wednesday 4 October, 13:00 - 18:00
- Thursday 5 October, 13:00 - 18:00
Where: On-Campus - McEwan Hall, Bristo Square, Edinburgh
Cost: £350 + VAT for Exhibitors paying via invoice
£300 + VAT for Exhibitors able to pay online without an invoice
Our priority is to facilitate positive connections between recruiting organisations and University of Edinburgh students and graduates. We do not want price to be a barrier, if you are unable to afford the exhibition rate, you can get in touch with our team. Contact email@example.com
Why should you book?
To get onto campus early in semester 1 (week 3) and capture the attention of students and raise your profile
To benefit from the footfall a high profile, multi-employer on campus event will generate
To support a cohort of students who have had limited opportunities to engage with recruiters to have a positive experience
Target student audience:
We hope to welcome over 1000 students per day
Students from all subject areas and all year groups will be invited to attend but we would expect most interest to come from Undergraduates in years 2 - 4/5 and postgraduate taught students.
Suitable for organisations:
From any sector, offering all kinds of opportunities from part-time work to internships to graduate roles, as well as industry bodies keen to represent their sector
Of all sizes, both large, graduate recruiters and SMEs
Happy to engage with a wide range of students and understand that this cohort of students may have had limited work experience and exposure to recruiters
Willing to have supportive exploratory conversations with students
- This event is designed to have a different feel from a typical Careers Fair. Based on the success of 2022/23 we are holding the event early in semester and keeping the scope of it wide - offering students the chance to meet employers and find out about jobs, internships and graduate opportunities is still key, but with additional wrap-around activities so that students feel as supported as possible.
- We want this event to be open and inclusive for all and to avoid students feeling intimidated. We will be making it clear to students that they aren't expected to have done a lot of preparation before they attend - we want them to feel comfortable to drop-in and use the event to explore. This means we may all get more basic questions from some students, but we think it is important to accept that, and we are calling on the organisations who book to support us with creating this open and welcoming environment as we all re-adjust to large on campus recruitment events.
- Please choose the date that suits you best.
- You must commit to being in the event and available to students for the full length of the event on the day you book.
- Students from all subject and year groups will be encouraged to attend whenever they can across the 3 days and it is important that no matter which day or what time they attend, they have a good experience.
- We are deliberately seeking to have a range of employers attending each day. Each organisation can only attend one day, unless you would like to discuss sponsorship.
- A space in the venue large enough for you to assemble a display of 2.5m maximum width.
- Use of a small table and 2 chairs
- Tap water for refilling water bottles - please bring your own, we will not be providing bottled water or plastic cups
- Teas and coffee - please bring your own reusable take-away cup if you would like to take your hot drinks to your exhibition area
- Light snacks - not lunch. In an effort to support local businesses and keep your exhibition costs down, we will be highlighting nearby local businesses where your delegates can purchase their lunch if they don't bring their own.
You will have access to the building 2 hours before the start time, from 11:00. All stands should be set up and ready to go by 12:30.
At the moment we are only inviting you to apply for a place to exhibit. There may be other areas and activities within or around the event that may benefit from employer involvement. We will share any such opportunities with all organisations who book.
You may be able to get involved in other campaigns or events which shine a light on particular topics and sectors that are of interest to a wide range of our students and graduates. Following on from Discover Careers in October, our highest volume campaigns will focus on Careers in Sustainability in November, Careers in Tech & Data in February and Creative & Cultural Careers in March.
We also have opportunities for organisations offering vocational opportunities to engage with students in our School of Engineering and School of Law.
We also look for employers to support ad-hoc sessions we are running on a variety of other topics. In the past this has included topics such as Careers in Life Sciences, Careers in Patent work, Careers in Consultancy and Practising Virtual Assessment Centres. Whenever we have openings for support with upcoming sessions we list them below. In the interim, let us know if there is topic you’d be interested in supporting with by completing our Expression of Interest Form.
Discover Careers (2024 Date TBC)