Meet the team
Careers Service team
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Biomedical Sciences.
- Carol is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants across the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, and the School of Biological Sciences. She is the link consultant for the Deanery of Biomedical Sciences.
- Carol has over 20 years’ experience in careers guidance with students of all disciplines. She is a graduate of both Glasgow and Strathclyde universities.
- Carol works Tuesday to Thursday, based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: C.Macdonald@ed.ac.uk
Dr Gavin McCabe
Link Careers Consultant for School of Economics
- Gavin is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants covering Business School, Economics, HiSS, Law, Moray House, and SPS.
- He has a PhD in epidemiological statistics and developing national alert systems, and over 16 years leading and delivering work on careers, student development, curriculum design, and employability in Higher Education.
- Email: email@example.com
Gavin works Monday-Thursday and is based at the Main Library Building.
Link Careers Consultant for Edinburgh College of Art.
- A graduate of English and French from The University of Aberdeen, Gina also has an MSc by Research in Postcolonial Literature from The University of Edinburgh.
- She previously enjoyed diverse work in publishing and education before training as a careers professional with an MSc in Careers Management and Coaching and moving into Higher Education careers work.
- Gina works Monday – Thursday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Gina.Black@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Social and Political Science and the School of Health in Social Science
- Jennifer is currently on maternity leave.
- Students of SPS and HiSS are welcome to see any other Careers Consultant.
- Academics/other staff with questions - please contact Dr Gavin McCabe.
- Email: Jennifer.Steven@ed.ac.uk
Dr Kay Barbour
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Law
- Kay is a graduate from the Universities of Aberdeen and Edinburgh Napier and has a PG Diploma in Careers Education Information and Guidance from the University of Reading and a Doctorate in Education from the University of Glasgow.
- She worked in various roles at management and practitioner levels across three Scottish universities before joining the Edinburgh team as a Careers Consultant.
- Kay works Tuesday - Friday, and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Kay.Barbour@ed.ac.uk
Careers Consultant for Graduate Support
- Kirsten is the Careers & Employability Lead for Graduates, responsible for developing and co-ordinating careers support for recent graduates.
- Kirsten has worked for the Careers Service at Edinburgh since 2012. Prior to working at Edinburgh she worked for a number of other Russell Group universities. She also has experience of working in third sector, HR and central government.
- Kirsten works Monday to Thursday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Kirsten.Roche@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
- After a degree in Psychology, Kirsti worked in corporate and commercial settings in London, including roles in management and running her own recruitment business.
- Since moving to Edinburgh in 2002 she has gained further qualifications in Coaching and Psychotherapy and has provided Career Consultancy, guidance and support in both the Private and Public sectors.
- Kirsti works Monday - Friday 9:00 - 13.00 and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Kirsti.Ferrier@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Biological Sciences, Edinburgh Medical School and the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
- Kyla joined the Careers Service in 2018, after graduating with a PG Diploma in Career Guidance and Development from Edinburgh Napier University.
- Kyla has Masters Degrees from the University of Edinburgh in Inclusive and Special Education, as well as in Criminology and Criminal Justice. Her BSc is in Psychology and Education from Bath Spa University.
- Kyla works Monday-Friday and is based at the Main Library Building and King’s Buildings.
- Email: Kyla.Atkinson@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for the School of History, Classics and Archaeology and the School of Divinity.
- Lyn Kane is the link Careers Consultant for the School of History, Classics and Archaeology and the School of Divinity. She has an MSc in Career Guidance and a Joint Honours Degree in Maths and Psychology.
- She joined the University of Edinburgh in 2019 and has over 10 years’ experience within Higher Education, helping students and graduates plan and manage their careers.
- Her previous employment includes working within local authority employability projects, student recruitment and marketing. Lyn is based in the Main Library Building and works Tuesday – Friday, 8.30-4.30pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Maths and jointly the School of Engineering
- Matt is the Careers Consultant for the School of Maths and jointly for the School of Engineering (leads on Civil, E&E, Mechanical). After a degree in geography from Aberystwyth, Matt taught English in Eastern Europe for 18 months before returning to UK.
- Working for the Careers Service of Bangor University as a projects officer led to a move to Edinburgh where Matt was a Careers Information Officer for eight years before moving into the consultant role in 2006.
- Matt works Monday - Friday and is based at King’s Buildings.
- Email: Matthew.Vickers@ed.ac.uk
- Rachel is an English and Film and Media Studies graduate with a PG Dip in Careers Education, Information and Guidance in Higher Education from the University of Warwick.
- She moved into the Careers Consultant Team in 2014 having previously worked in the Information Team.
- Rachel is currently on maternity leave.
- Email: email@example.com
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Chemistry and the School of Informatics
- After completing an undergraduate degree in Drama, and working as an audio producer, Rebecca spent 15 years working in recruitment, HR consultancy and project management.
- An interest in training and coaching lead to studying for the PG Dip in Career Guidance and Development at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Rebecca joined the Careers Service in 2021 following a role as a Careers Advisor at Queen Margaret University.
- Email: Rebecca.Clacy-Jones@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for the School of GeoSciences
- Graduated with PG Diploma in Careers Guidance and Development from Edinburgh Napier University after a career change from the Tourism sector. Several years within a management role led to a keen interest and focus on coaching and development.
- Prior experience includes working in a guidance role within widening participation for LEAPS (Lothian Equal Access Programme for Schools).
- Work Mon - Thurs, 9:00 - 4:30.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link Careers Consultant for the Business School
- He is also leading on internationalisation in the Service. Steve is a graduate in Politics, History and Sociology and also has a Diploma in Careers Guidance.
- In 2005 he undertook a secondment at the University of Auckland to develop the Careers Service's website.
- Steve works Monday - Friday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: email@example.com
Dr Sharon Maguire
Link Careers Consultant for School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences.
- Sharon is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants covering Divinity, ECA, HCA and LLC. She is the link consultant for the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences.
- She has a PhD in life sciences and worked in medical research for a number of years. She has almost 20 years of experience leading and developing work on careers and employability in higher education.
- Sharon works Monday - Thursday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link Careers Consultant for the School of Physics
- Susan is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants covering Chemistry, Geoscience, Informatics, Maths & Engineering. She is the link consultant for the School of Physics and Astronomy.
- Susan has over 13 years’ experience in careers guidance working with students of all disciplines. A graduate from Aberdeen and Edinburgh Napier universities, her background includes medical underwriting, product development within an SME and careers infor
- Susan works Monday to Thursday, based at King's Buildings.
- Email: Susan.Bird@ed.ac.uk
Link Careers Consultant for Moray House School of Education & Sport
- Suzanne is the link Careers Consultant for Moray House School of Education & Sport.
- She is a biological sciences graduate of the University of Edinburgh with a PG Dip in Careers Education Information & Guidance in Higher Education from the University of Reading.
- Suzanne works Monday to Thursday and is based in the Main Library Building.
- Email: Suzanne.Agnew@ed.ac.uk
Careers Information Manager
- Jane heads up the Information Team which provides an enquiry service and develops our information resource.
- After graduating from Oxford she worked in information roles within the media and in scientific R&D before joining the University.
- Email: Jane.Challinor@ed.ac.uk
Careers Information Adviser
- Tom has been working in Higher Education information and advice for the last 10 years. Prior to this he completed teacher training at Nottingham Trent University, having also studied his undergraduate degree in Computer Science there.
- Current responsibilities include maintaining and developing information resources for the Banking and Finance, IT, Healthcare, Retail and Hospitality sectors.
- Email: Thomas.Robinson@ed.ac.uk
Careers Information Advisor
- Nicola is a graduate from the University of Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier University.
- Nicola’s career path includes a marketing role within an SME as well as various roles within the Higher Education sector. Her role focuses on student engagement and developing resources.
- She is also responsible for managing Inform.ed, the Careers Service blog.
- Email: Nicola.Meikle@ed.ac.uk
Careers Information Adviser
- Sara is a graduate of the University of Patras in Greece, where she studied primary school teaching and education.
- Prior to working for the University, she taught in primary schools across Edinburgh and later she worked as a content editor for Twinkl Educational Publishing.
- Current responsibilities include developing information resources for the Education and Teaching, Creative and Cultural, Government and Policy sectors.
- Email: Sara.Tsompanidi@ed.ac.uk
Careers Information Adviser
- June is currently on secondment.
- My role is to inform the University's support for students' employability. Directly and through my (amazing) team I work with students, students' representatives, employers and university colleagues to enable our students to make successful transitions
- to life beyond University. I have years of experience in Higher Education careers and employability, built on previous experience in professional out-placement and redundancy support. My first degree was in Economics from the University of Aberdeen.
- I'm a past President of the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services, and have represented Higher Education in various settings, such as the Scottish Government Careers Strategy Steering Group. I relax by running & making messes in the kitchen.
- Email: email@example.com
Elizabeth (Lizzie) Mortimer
- My role is to provide strategic direction and oversight of key areas of Careers Service activity. I lead development, delivery and promotion of our pan-institution provision to support the greatest reach and impact on all our students.
- I've been working in the careers and employability sector for many years now, and I'm passionate about what I do.
- Prior to joining Edinburgh I worked in finance recruitment, NHS learning and development, and spent two years in Japan on the JET programme. My first degree is in English Language from the University of Glasgow.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employer Engagement Manager
- Lucy heads up the Employer Engagement team, aiming to facilitate meaningful ways for employers to connect with University of Edinburgh students across all disciplines.
- She is a member of the ISE Scotland and North Group, Co-Chair of the AGCAS Employer Engagement Task Group and contributes to the Joined Up for Business and Inspiring Talent networks across Edinburgh and the wider city region.
- She has over 12 years’ experience of working between business and higher education in roles, ranging from account management of large-scale graduate recruiters to supporting SMEs to access student and graduate talent through ScotGrad and IAESTE.
- Email: email@example.com
Employer Engagement Adviser
- Alison develops meaningful ways in which employers can connect with our students and graduates.
- She has specific interest in building relationships with those in Life Sciences, Engineering, Sustainability & the Environment, Data & Technology.
- She has over 15 years experience in graduate recruitment and development from large international businesses to SMEs.
- Email: Alison.Parkinson@ed.ac.uk
Employer Engagement Adviser
- Sharon supports with the design of services and events that offer employers meaningful ways to engage with students and graduates.
- She has a particular focus on ensuring we offer effective ways for the creative industries and third sector to work with us, aiming to facilitate collaboration which will raise the profile of, and enhance access to, careers in these areas.
- Sharon is also working on a project to strengthen the coherence & consistency of Careers Service communications to students. She has 13 years of experience working in student and graduate careers in Higher Education.
- Email: Sharon.Cant@ed.ac.uk
- Ailsa is the Employer Team Events Coordinator.
- Her main responsibility is the planning and organisation of large scale, multi-employer, careers related events that connect recruiting organisations and talented University of Edinburgh students.
- She developed her events experience in a variety of third sector roles before joining the University in 2017.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internships & Work Experience Adviser
- Email: email@example.com