Meet the team
Meet the Careers Service team and find out more about what we're responsible for
- Carol is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants across the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, and the School of Biological Sciences. She is the link consultant for the Deanery of Biomedical Sciences.
- Carol has over 20 years’ experience in careers guidance with students of all disciplines. She is a graduate of both Glasgow and Strathclyde universities.
- Carol works Tuesday to Thursday, based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: C.Macdonald@ed.ac.uk
- Gavin is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of Careers Consultants covering Business School, Economics, EFI, HiSS, Law, Moray House, and PPLS.
- He has a PhD in epidemiological statistics and developing national alert systems, and over 17 years' experience leading and delivering work on careers, student development, curriculum design, and employability in higher education.
- Email: email@example.com
- A graduate of English and French from the University of Aberdeen, Gina has an MSc by Research in Postcolonial Literature from the University of Edinburgh.
- She previously enjoyed diverse work in publishing and education before training as a careers professional with an MSc in Careers Management and Coaching and moving into Higher Education careers work.
- Gina works Monday – Friday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Gina.Black@ed.ac.uk
- Jennifer has over 10 years’ experience in career development with students of all disciplines.
- Prior to joining the University of Edinburgh, she worked for the London School of Economics and Political Science. Whilst there, she worked on a series of international recruitment and networking projects in Brussels, China, Hong Kong and the USA.
- This work was developed and delivered with international partners including Harvard, Columbia, Sciences Po, the College of Europe and Cambridge.
- Email: Jennifer.Steven@ed.ac.uk
- Kay has an Ed.D from the University of Glasgow and postgraduate degrees in careers education and guidance from Reading and Edinburgh Napier Universities.
- She has worked in management and practitioner roles across university student services and has a particular interest in supporting the career development of Masters students.
- Kay works Monday - Friday, based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Kay.Barbour@ed.ac.uk
- After a degree in Psychology, Kirsti worked in corporate and commercial settings in London, including roles in management and running her own recruitment business.
- Since moving to Edinburgh in 2002, she has gained further qualifications in Coaching and Psychotherapy and has provided Career Consultancy, guidance and support in both the Private and Public sectors.
- Kirsti is currently not available to consult.
- Kyla joined the Careers Service in 2018, after graduating with a PG Diploma in Career Guidance and Development from Edinburgh Napier University.
- Kyla has Masters Degrees from the University of Edinburgh in Inclusive Education, and in Criminology. Her BSc is in Psychology/Education from Bath Spa University and she previously worked with schools and charities.
- Kyla works Monday-Friday at King’s Buildings Campus.
- Email: Kyla.Atkinson@ed.ac.uk
- Lyn Kane is the link Careers Consultant for the School of History, and Classics and Archaeology. She has an MSc in Career Guidance and a Joint Honours Degree in Maths and Psychology.
- She joined the University of Edinburgh in 2019 and has over 10 years’ experience within Higher Education, helping students and graduates plan and manage their careers.
- Her previous employment includes working within local authority employability projects, student recruitment and marketing. Lyn is based in the Main Library Building and works Tuesday – Friday, 8.30-4.30pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel is an English and Film and Media Studies graduate with a PG Dip in Careers Education, Information and Guidance in Higher Education from the University of Warwick.
- She moved into the Careers Consultant Team in 2014 having previously worked in the Information Team.
- Rachel is currently on maternity leave.
- Email: email@example.com
- After a degree in geography from Aberystwyth, Matt taught English in Eastern Europe for 18 months before returning to the UK.
- Working for the Careers Service of Bangor University as a projects officer led to a move to Edinburgh where he was a Careers Information Officer for eight years before moving into the consultant role in 2006.
- After initially working with humanities students, he now works with science and engineering. Matt works Monday - Friday and is based at King’s Buildings.
- Email: Matthew.Vickers@ed.ac.uk
- After completing an undergraduate degree in Drama, and working as an audio producer, Rebecca spent 15 years working in recruitment, HR consultancy and project management.
- An interest in training and coaching led to studying for the PG Dip in Career Guidance and Development at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Rebecca joined the Careers Service in 2021 following a role as a Careers Advisor at Queen Margaret University, and works Monday to Thursday at King’s Buildings and at the Main Library.
- Email: Rebecca.Clacy-Jones@ed.ac.uk
- Sarah graduated with a PG Diploma in Careers Guidance and Development from Edinburgh Napier University after a career change from the Tourism sector. Several years within a management role led to a keen interest and focus on coaching and development.
- Prior experience includes working in a guidance role within widening participation for LEAPS (Lothian Equal Access Programme for Schools).
- Sarah works Monday - Thursday, 9:00 - 4:30.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve also works with Psychology students from the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences.(PPLS)
- Steve is a graduate in Politics, History and Sociology and has a Diploma in Careers Guidance.
- He works Monday - Friday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: email@example.com
- Susan is a Careers & Employability Manager leading a team of consultants covering Chemistry, Geoscience, Informatics, Maths, Engineering and Physics & Astronomy.
- Susan has over 19 years’ experience in careers education, information & guidance, working with students of all disciplines.
- A graduate from Aberdeen & Edinburgh Napier universities, her background includes medical underwriting and product development within an SME. Susan works Mon –Thurs, based in the Nucleus at King's Buildings.
- Email: Susan.Bird@ed.ac.uk
- Suzanne is the link Careers Consultant for Moray House School of Education & Sport.
- She is a biological sciences graduate of the University of Edinburgh with a PG Dip in Careers Education Information & Guidance in Higher Education from the University of Reading.
- Suzanne works Monday to Thursday and is based in the Main Library Building.
- Email: Suzanne.Agnew@ed.ac.uk
- Lindsey works with all students across the University and supports delivery of the Careers Service central programme of events.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth works across the university to support students and graduates from all subject areas.
- After completing a BA and Masters in English Literature from London and Leeds Universities, she enjoyed an extensive career in international corporate HR, and is CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) qualified.
- Making a career change, Ruth re-trained , gaining a PG Dip in Careers Guidance and Development at Edinburgh Napier University, and now has 15 years' experience as a career consultant.
- Email: email@example.com
- Jane heads up the Information Team which provides an enquiry service and develops our information resource.
- After graduating from Oxford she worked in information roles within the media and in scientific R&D before joining the University.
- Email: Jane.Challinor@ed.ac.uk
- Tom has been working in Higher Education information and advice for the last 10 years. Prior to this he completed teacher training at Nottingham Trent University, having also studied his undergraduate degree in Computer Science there.
- Current responsibilities include maintaining and developing information resources for the Banking and Finance, IT, Healthcare, Retail and Hospitality sectors.
- Email: Thomas.Robinson@ed.ac.uk
- Nicola is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh and also graduated from Edinburgh Napier University with an MSc Marketing.
- Nicola’s career path includes a marketing role within an SME as well as various roles within the Higher Education sector. Her role focuses on student engagement and developing resources.
- She is responsible for co-ordinating Inform.ed, the Careers Service blog.
- Email: Nicola.Meikle@ed.ac.uk
- Sara is a graduate of the University of Patras in Greece, where she studied primary school teaching and education.
- Prior to working for the University, she taught in primary schools across Edinburgh and later she worked as a content editor for an educational publishing house.
- Current responsibilities include developing information resources for various sectors, offering advice to students and recent graduates, and taking part in careers fairs.
- Email: Sara.Tsompanidi@ed.ac.uk
- June is currently on secondment.
- My role is to inform the University's support for students' employability. Directly and through my (amazing) team I work with students, students' representatives, employers and university colleagues to enable our students to make successful transitions
- to life beyond University. I have years of experience in Higher Education careers and employability, built on previous experience in professional out-placement and redundancy support. My first degree was in Economics from the University of Aberdeen.
- I'm a past President of the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services, and have represented Higher Education in various settings, such as the Scottish Government Careers Strategy Steering Group. I relax by running & making messes in the kitchen.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- My role is to provide strategic direction and oversight of key areas of Careers Service activity. I lead development, delivery and promotion of our pan-institution provision to support the greatest reach and impact on all our students.
- I've been working in the careers and employability sector for many years now, and I'm passionate about what we do. In addition, I serve as Professional Standards Director for the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services.
- Prior to joining Edinburgh, I worked in finance recruitment, NHS learning and development, and spent two years in Japan on the JET programme. My first degree is in English Language from the University of Glasgow.
- Email: email@example.com
- Ruth provides strategic direction and oversight for the work of the Careers Service to support students' development and successful transition to their future.
- A key part of her remit is to incubate innovation projects with colleagues from across the university and partners beyond. She has extensive experience in the field of careers and student development, primarily at the University of Edinburgh.
- Her background is in information management, and she has degrees in languages and business management as well as holding the postgraduate diploma in careers in Higher Education. Ruth relaxes by cycling, travelling, reading, cooking & baking.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sharon's role is to lead development and delivery of College and School-based careers and employability services and to champion careers and employability within academic contexts.
- She manages and supports a team of 4 Careers & Employability Managers and through them direct activity of the wider Career Consultant team.
- She has worked in higher education careers for many years developing support for students at all levels. She has also worked in academic research in the UK and USA for a number of years after gaining a PhD in life sciences from University of Edinburgh.
- Email: Sharon.Maguire@ed.ac.uk
- Lucy heads up the Employer Engagement team, aiming to facilitate meaningful ways for employers to connect with University of Edinburgh students across all disciplines.
- She is a member of the ISE Scotland and North Group, Co-Chair of the AGCAS Employer Engagement Task Group and contributes to the Joined Up for Business and Inspiring Talent networks across Edinburgh and the wider city region.
- She has over 12 years’ experience of working between business and higher education in roles, ranging from account management of large-scale graduate recruiters to supporting SMEs to access student and graduate talent through ScotGrad and IAESTE.
- Email: email@example.com
- Alison develops meaningful ways in which employers can connect with our students and graduates.
- She has specific interest in building relationships with those in Life Sciences, Engineering, Sustainability & the Environment, Data & Technology.
- She has over 15 years experience in graduate recruitment and development from large international businesses to SMEs.
- Email: Alison.Parkinson@ed.ac.uk
- Ailsa develops meaningful ways in which employers can connect with our students and graduates. She has specific interest in building relationships with the Legal sector, Public sector, Third sector and Creative Industries.
- She developed her events and relationship management experience in her previous role as Events Coordinator for the Service as well as through a variety of third sector roles.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simon has a background in project management, systems and business development gained via work in international development and cultural relations, bicycles, teaching and printmaking in Edinburgh, London, Zimbabwe and South Africa.
- He enjoys sporadic bursts of yoga, the growing of green things and working with wood.
- Email: email@example.com
- Laura is helping employers engage with students across a number of different services. She supports the management of the University vacancies, our event platform and engagement services.
- She studied Business Management at Heriot-Watt University and gained experience in both the private and public sector before joining the University of Edinburgh in 2022.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth supports the Events Coordinator and Employer Engagement Coordinator to provide employers with opportunities to engage with students across different events and services.
- She previously studied French & German at the University of Glasgow and worked in the tourism sector before joining the University of Edinburgh in 2022.
- Email: email@example.com
- Karen organises, coordinates and promotes large scale, multi-employer, careers related events that connect recruiting organisations and talented University of Edinburgh students.
- Karen studied Events Management at Queen Margaret University and gained experience across a variety of events and engagement roles before joining the UoE in 2023.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valentina supports the Events Coordinator and Employer Engagement Coordinator to provide employers with opportunities to engage with students across different events and services.
- She joined the Employer Team in January 2023 after completing her Spanish Degree at the University of Edinburgh. As a student, she gained some work experience in marketing, media and events.
- Email: email@example.com
- Eilidh leads the Internship and Work Experience team to deliver the Insights and Employ.ed Internships Programmes, the Edinburgh Award and the Edinburgh Award (Work Experience).
- She provides consultancy on internship programme development, student employment and frameworks to support students to make the most of their work experiences.
- Eilidh worked in the finance and property sectors before joining the University in 2008 and has extensive experience, from roles in employer engagement and resource development to programme design and student engagement.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Claire is based in the Internships and Work Experience team at the Careers Service, and her main role is to support the running of the Employ.ed internship programmes.
- Prior to this role, Claire was part of the Employability Consultancy based in the Careers Service and supported a variety of projects and initiatives, such as the Edinburgh Award and SLICCs.
- Claire joined the Careers Service in 2018, after graduating from Stirling University with a degree in Psychology.
- Email: email@example.com
- Lorna’s main role is to support the running of the Insights Programme and the Edinburgh Award (Work Experience).
- She joined the University of Edinburgh Careers Service in 2017 from the Internships Team at the University of East Anglia’s Careers Service.
- Email: Lorna.Savage@ed.ac.uk
- Kirsty coordinates the Edinburgh Award across the University.
- She works with staff to set up versions of the Edinburgh Award in order to recognise students taking part in co- and extra-curricular activities and support them to develop their skills while doing so.
- Email: Kirsty.Stewart2@ed.ac.uk
- Gemma joined the Internship and Work Experience team in 2019. She previously worked in Sport and Exercise at the Pleasance. She works across all the programmes the team runs and provides administrative support.
- She particularly supports the growth and development of the Insights Programme.
- Email: Gemma.Eugene@ed.ac.uk
- Robbie leads the Operations Team to support the wider department in their operational delivery.
- Robbie joined the Careers Service in February 2022 and has worked at the University since 2012, predominantly in HR.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yuji’s role is to produce and analyse business intelligence for the Careers Service. He also coordinates and assists with the data needs of all other teams in the Service, including satisfying data requests from external partners.
- He has ample experience in academic and government research. He has a master’s degree in Applied Quantitative Research from New York University and a Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Edinburgh.
- Email: email@example.com
- Before joining the Careers Service in 2019, Mairi achieved a Politics degree from the University of Edinburgh and spent one year travelling and working in Australia, Indonesia and Singapore.
- Mairi’s current responsibilities include design and creation of digital and print marketing materials and involvement in areas such as finance, HR, IT and graduate support delivery.
- Email: Mairi.Macdonald@ed.ac.uk
- As a part of the operations team, Carli works to keep the Service running smoothly. Some of her day-to-day activities include providing administrative, IT and HR support.
- Carli holds a masters in Philosophy from the University of St Andrews. She has previous experience working as a French teacher and a cheesemonger.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tia joined the Operations Team in January 2023. Before this, she studied English Literature at the University of Birmingham.
- Her current projects as Operations Administrator include resolving IT issues and queries, creating promotional marketing materials for the Service and learning about the People&Money finance system.
- She also provides administrative support for the Edinburgh Award and SLICCs (Student-Led, Individually-Created Courses).
- Email: email@example.com
- Aidan’s role leads on the development, delivery and management of the Students as Change Agents programme at the University.
- Aidan is an experienced people and project manager with over 10 years’ experience delivering successful projects and building long-lasting relationships with local and national partners.
- He previously worked in the third sector before joining the University in 2022.
- Email: Aidan.Tracey@ed.ac.uk
- Hilda assists in the delivery, coordination and administration of the SaChA programme at the University. She is presently enrolled as a PhD candidate in the field of Health, Medical Law and Ethics at the Edinburgh School of Law.
- Prior to joining the SaChA team, Hilda's previous professional experience involved serving as an Assistant Lecturer at the University of Dar es Salaam.
- She also possesses ample experience in coaching and mentorship, having successfully delivered and implemented Social Emotional Learning and Mentorship programmes for youth in public schools in Tanzania through her charity organisation, Guided Path.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emma assists in the delivery, development and evaluation of the SACHA programme at the University. Prior to starting her role as Programme Coordinator, Emma worked with the SACHA team as a Programme Assistant, aiding in coordination and delivery.
- Her professional and academic background is in education, with experience teaching at the primary level and coordinating co-curricular education programmes.
- Emma is currently a final year PhD in International Development in the University of Edinburgh's School of Social and Political Science.
- Email: email@example.com
- Kirsten is a Careers & Employability Lead working on a number of projects across the Careers Service. Kirsten has worked for the Careers Service at Edinburgh since 2012.
- Prior to working at Edinburgh, she worked for a number of other Russell Group universities. She also has experience of working in third sector, HR and central government.
- Kirsten works Monday to Thursday and is based at the Main Library Building.
- Email: Kirsten.Roche@ed.ac.uk
- Stephanie is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh, where she studied English Literature. As a student she ran the Literature Society as President and supported the Sociology Society as Treasurer in her final years.
- Prior to working for the University, she gained experience working for a variety of public, private and charity organisations within the field of communications, marketing and media.
- Current responsibilities include line-managing a team of Career Service Assistants and co-ordinating the service’s external communications to students.
- Email: Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org