Early Phase Clinical Trials Co-lead
Research in a Nutshell
Dr Clive works as a consultant in medical oncology in the Edinburgh Cancer Centre and in Fife, specialising in the medical management of colorectal cancer, cancers of unknown primary and early phase clinical trials.
Sally has been chief investigator, principal investigator and co-investigator on numerous clinical trials over her career and works closely with medical colleagues in the Edinburgh Cancer Centre, the clinical trials team and the ECMC to deliver high quality trials with robust data and specimen collection. She has collaborated with colleagues across the UK and beyond on multicentre clinical trials (phase I-IV) with the overarching desire to make meaningful improvement to patient outcomes. Sally has been chief investigator in first-in-man phase I clinical trials and pharmacokinetic organ function, drug interaction and ADME trials and is currently running a study investigating the cardiotoxicity of oral fluoropyrimidines. Her research interests are early phase clinical trials, clinical research in colorectal cancer, improving outcomes for patients with mCUP and investigating the toxicities associated with chemotherapy.
Sally’s work has been supported since 2012 by a NRS Career Researcher Award.
|Dr Sally Clive||
Consultant Medical Oncologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Medical Oncology
|Dr Stefan Symenoides||Clinical lead in early phase clinical trials|
|Dr Ewan Brown||Co-investigator in colorectal clinical trials|
|Ms Moira Stewart||Chief data manager in clinical research team|
|Ms Patty Campbell||Chief research nurse in clinical research team|
- Targeting Carcinoembryonic Antigen with DNA Vaccination: On-Target Adverse Events Link with Immunological and Clinical Outcomes and Survival. Cazaly A, Mander A, Chudley L, McCann K, Stasakova J, Thirdborough S, King A, Lloyd-Evans P, Buxton E, Edwards C, Bateman A, O’Callaghan A, Clive S, Anthoney DA, Jodrell D, Weinschenk T, Simon P, Sahin U, Thomas G, Stevenson FK, Ottensmeier CH. . Clin Cancer Res (2016); Apr 18. pii: clincanres.2507.2015. [Epub ahead of print]
- A phase I open-label study investigating the disposition of [14C]-cabazitaxel in patients with advanced solid tumors. Ridoux L, Sémiond DR, Vincent C, Fontaine H, Mauriac C, Sanderink GJ, Oprea C, Kelly L, Clive S. Anti-Cancer Drugs (2015), 26:350–358
- A Phase I, Open-Label, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Pharmacokinetics and Safety of Oral Panobinostat in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors and Various Degrees of Hepatic Function. Slingerland M, Hess D, Clive S, Sharma S, Sandstrom P, Loman N, Porro MG, Waldron E, Mu S, Valera S, Gelderblom H. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacology (2014); 74 (5): 1089-98
- A phase 1/2, multiple-dose, dose-escalation study of siltuximab, an anti-interleukin-6 monoclonal antibody, in patients with advanced solid tumors. Angevin E, Tabernero J, Elez ME, Cohen SJ, Bahleda R, Van Laethem JL, Ottensmeier CH, Lopez-Martin JA, Clive S et al. Clin Cancer Res (2014). Doi: http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/21/1078-0432.CCR-13-2200.long
- Development and implementation of a service of patients with cancer of unknown primary. Knowles G, Christie A, Bedi C, Dawson L, Mackean M, Wall L, Brown E, Clive S. Cancer Nursing Practice (2013) 12; 9: 33-38
- Randomized Phase II Study of PEGylated SN-38 (EZN-2208) With or Without Cetuximab in Patients with Advanced Colorectal Cancer. Garrett CR, Bekaii-Saab TS, Ryan TF, Fisher GA, Clive S, Kavan P, Shacham-Shmueli E, Buchbinder A, Goldberg RM. Cancer (2013) Sep 16. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28358
- A Phase I Pharmacokinetic Study of PM00104 (Zalypsis®) Administered as a 24-hour Intravenous Infusion Every Three Weeks in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors. Capdevila J, Clive S, Casado E, Michie C, Piera A, Sicart E, Josep Carreras M, Coronado C, Kahatt C, Matos-Pita AS, Teruel CF, Siguero M, Cullell-Young M, Tabernero J. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol (2013) 71:1247–1254; DOI 10.1007/s00280-013-2119-8
- Principles of dose finding studies in cancer: a comparison of trial designs. Jaki T, Clive S, Weir C. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol (2013) 71:1107–1114; DOI 10.1007/s00280-012-2059-8
- Characterizing the disposition, metabolism, and excretion of an orally active pan-deacetylase inhibitor, panobinostat, via trace radiolabeled 14C material in advanced cancer patients. Clive S, Woo M, Nydam T, Kelly L, Squier M, Kagan M. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology (2012); DOI: 10.1007/s00280-012-1940-9
- Accuracy of GFR estimation by the Cockroft and Gault, MDRD and Wright equations in Oncology patients with renal impairment. Faluyi OO, Masinghe SP, Hayward RL, Clive S. Med Oncol (2012); 29 (2):755-60, DOI: 10.1007/s12032-011-9824-0
- The frequency and severity of capecitabine-induced hypertriglyceridaemia in routine clinical practice; a prospective study. Michie C, Clive S. British Journal of Cancer (2010); 103 (5):617-21
- Capecitabine combined with oxaliplatin (CapOx) in clinical practice: how significant is peripheral neuropathy? Storey DJ, Sakala M, McLean CM, Phillips HA, Dawson LK, Wall LR, Fallon MT, Clive S. Annals of Oncology (2010). 21(8):1657-1661
- Capecitabine (oral 5-fluorouracil pro-drug) treatment for colorectal carcinoma causing ischaemic chest pain T McGoldrick, D Jodrell, S Clive. British Medical Journal (2009), Case Reports2009:; doi:10.1136/bcr.07.2008.0449
- The value of adjuvant treatment in young women with breast cancer. Clive S, Dixon JM. Drugs (2002), 62(1), 1-11.
- Forearm blood flow and local responses to peptide vasodilators: A novel pharmacodynamic measure in the phase I trial of Antagonist G, a neuropeptide growth factor antagonist. Clive S, Webb DJ, MacLellan J, Young A, Byrne B, Robson L, Smyth JF, Jodrell DI. Clinical Cancer Research (2001), 7, 3071-3078.
- Gastrin-releasing peptide is a potent vasodilator in humans. Clive S, Jodrell D, Webb D. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (2001), 69(4), 252-9.
- Miltefosine as a topical treatment for cutaneous metastases in breast carcinoma. Clive S, Gardiner J, Leonard RCF. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology (1999), 44, 7 (S29-S30).
- Influence of the antacid Maalox on the pharmacokinetics of capecitabine in cancer patients. Reigner B, Clive S, Cassidy J, Jodrell DI, Schulz R, Goggin T, Banken L, Roos B, Utoh M, Mulligan T, Weidekamm E. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology (1999), 43, 309-315.
- A simple non-invasive method of assessing the acute haemodynamic effects of doxorubicin. Clive S, Dawson AA, Bennet NB, Rawles JM. Haematological Oncology (1991), 9, 1, 53-58.
- Small Cell Ovarian Cancer - a rare aggressive tumour treated with high dose chemotherapy. Clive S, Smyth JFS. Oncology Today (1998), 18, 17-19.
- Miltefosine in recurrent cutaneous breast cancer. Clive S, Leonard RCF. Lancet (1997), 349, 621-622.
- Necrobacillosis (Lemmiere’s Syndrome): a rare cause of necrotising pneumonia. Dykhuizen RS, Olson JS, Clive S, Douglas JG. The European Respiratory Journal (1994), 7, 2246-2248.
Partners and Funders
- NRS Career Researcher Award