The 1st Annual Conference of the Edinburgh University Oncology Society
Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre staff and affiliates played important role during the 1st Annual Conference organised by the Edinburgh University Oncology Society: November 2019
The Edinburgh University Oncology Society (EUOS) is a student-led organisation that provides various opportunities to students who are interested in cancer biology or oncology to learn, to network and to have a good time with socials. On the 26th October 2019 the Society organised its first Annual Conference with participation from Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre investigators and affiliated Cancer Research UK support staff.
The conference was focused on innovation in the field of oncology. Research into new treatments and methodologies is progressing at amazing speed, so the conference aimed to look at where the field has been, where it is today, and where it will be soon.
Dr Sarah Thomas (CRUK Research Engagement Manager for East Scotland) delivered the keynote talk, setting the scene by looking at the history of cancer research in Scotland, before Dr Stefan Symeonides from the Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre focused on some of the experimental treatments that will take us into the future.
This was followed by Dr Barry Laird (CRUK Edinburgh Centre), who explored patient care and cancer cachexia and Carolin Temps who explored drug discovery and her research as a PhD student at the Innovative Therapeutics group in the CRUK Edinburgh Centre.
Throughout the day, there were also workshops on working within a Multi-Disciplinary Team, and on building your CV. There were also poster presentations displayed in the breakout room, as well as an exhibition on cancer in art.
The day concluded with Dr Melanie McKean (an oncologist practicing in Lothian) and CRUK Ambassador Tom Martin debating what the focus of cancer research should be.
- Website of the Edinburgh University Oncology Society: https://edinburghoncology.wixsite.com/euos
- Edinburgh University Oncology Society Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/edinburghoncsoc/
- Dr Sarah Thomas (CRUK Research Engagement Manager for East Scotland) Twitter account: https://twitter.com/crukeastscot
- Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre Twitter account: https://twitter.com/EdinCRC
- Dr Stefan Symeonides group web page: https://www.ed.ac.uk/cancer-centre/research/symeonides-group
- Dr Barry Laird group web page: https://www.ed.ac.uk/cancer-centre/research/barry-laird
- Innovative Therapeutics group web page: https://www.ed.ac.uk/cancer-centre/research/unciti-broceta-group