- Our pioneering research proved human-caused greenhouse gasses are warming our planet and underpinned the 2015 Paris Agreement.
- We're working with major space agencies to monitor the environment using satellite data.
- The Scottish Government used our work in public health data to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
And that's just the start...
Open to the world
As a world-leading university, we are here to address today's greatest challenges.
Our staff and students contribute to a thriving community whose visions are shaping tomorrow's world. We have more than 400 years of excellence behind us. Working together, we can make the next 400 years even better.
Seize unique opportunities to explore and tackle global challenges with our interdisciplinary Master's programmes spanning the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
You'll also be living in Scotland's vibrant and historic capital city, regularly voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. A stimulating place to study, Edinburgh is an irresistible blend of history, natural beauty and modern city life.
Being open to the world today brings greater potential and possibilities for tomorrow.
Considering postgraduate study? Our Virtual Open Days will help you out!
You can consider your career options, meet with current students and ask our expert academics all the burning questions you want to know.
We are open to you.
Find out what it's like to study and live in Edinburgh.
Discover our city's landmarks, our campuses, accommodation and get video tours - all in one place.
Open your mind to the available options and find a masters programme perfectly suited to your interests and career aspirations.
These programmes are delivered in collaboration with Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC). You will not only benefit from being a fully matriculated student at the University of Edinburgh, but also access to the expert staff and resources at SRUC. Upon successful completion of the programme, you will be awarded your degree by The University of Edinburgh.
Our University is playing a vital role in the climate crisis.
Many of our researchers are pioneers in their field, with their work underpinning some of the most important international policy decisions in history.
We are keen to highlight some of our most significant insights with you.
No one knows what it is really like to be a student at the University of Edinburgh than the students themselves.
Read our student blog to find out more about:
- Hybrid learning
- Virtual field trips
- Getting involved in societies at university
- Student life in Edinburgh
- Study advice and tips
and much more!
- TOP 20 – The University of Edinburgh is ranked 16th in the world
- TOP 10 – We're in the UK's top 10 and the world's top 100 universities for graduate employability.
- 4TH - We're ranked 4th in the UK for research power
- 2ND - Edinburgh is ranked 2nd in the UK and 12th in the world for best student city
We are one of the largest and most successful interdisciplinary groupings of geographers and geoscientists in the UK. Join us, and learn how to contribute to a sustainable future for a changing world.
Edinburgh Climate Change Institute (ECCI)
You will have the opportunity to work and network alongside professionals and potential employers to help develop a low-carbon society.