Imports & Exports
Information about services offered for importing of animals into BVS facilities and exporting animals to external facilities.
Animal facilities around the world have different husbandry protocols, barrier requirements and varying pathogen screening. To preserve the health status of BVS animal units within the University of Edinburgh and to protect scientific research when importing animals, and to ensure that we meet all local legislation when exporting, BVS provide a comprehensive service for importing, and exporing animals to and, from collaborators around the world.
In order to ensure the most economic and efficient use of BVS resources our Import Coordinator will coordinate all aspects of your import often reducing time and cost.
Researchers who are interested in importing or exporting lines should contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
The importation service includes:
- Liaising with the source facilities to ensure animals to be sent are the appropriate age/gender/genotype and have a suitable health status
- Organising and advising on additional services such as the post quarantine holding unit assignment and embryo derivation depending on pathogen status.
- If the health status of the exporting facility is not compatible with our receiving unit a rederivation may be required. BVS also provides a rederivation service in these instances.
- Ensuring that we have the appropriate documentation in place before shipping including APHA permit application for imports out with the UK and the EU
- Assigning appropriate Quarantine space within BVS units.
- Arranging a courier and liaising with the sending unit for suitable delivery dates.
- Organising requisite Serological testing for release from quarantine.
- Please be aware that animals coming to the BVS originate from a wide variety of sources, their general health status will vary and may not always be as originally believed. If upon clearance from quarantine a line needs to be rederived to their destination unit BVS can provide this service.
Researcher’s responsibilities during process:
- Complete sections C, D and E of the Import Request form (see below).
- Ask your contact at the sending institute to complete section B of the import request form
- Return the completed form at which point we will contact the sending institution and ask them to complete a VSS Importation health questionnaire and supply us with the required recent health reports.
- Return all the requested information at which point BVS will submit the request to the NVS for authorisation and contact the sending institute to arrange suitable shipping dates.
The exportation service includes:
- Liaising with the receiving facilities to ensure animals sent are the appropriate age/gender/genotype and have a suitable health status
- Ensuring that we have the appropriate documentation in place before shipping including all local and National permits for exports out with the UK.
- Organising additional Serological testing if required.
- Organising shipping.
Researcher’s responsibilities during process
- Complete sections B, C and D of the Export Request form and return it to the Import Coordinator (see below).
- Ask your contact at the Receiving institute to complete section A and E of the Export request form
- Return all of the required information, at which point BVS will contact the receiving institute to arrange suitable shipping dates.