Applications invited for the Head of School role
This document provides the Head of School profile details and Head of School selection criteria.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS NOW PASSED.
Head of School profile details
Purpose of the Role
The Head of School is accountable for:-
- The provision of academic leadership, developing and delivering School objectives for, in particular, teaching, research and knowledge transfer, which are aligned with the University and College strategy,
- The effective governance and management of the School and all of its resources.
Context of the Role
- Responsible to the Head of College
- One of 22 Heads of School providing senior academic leadership in the University
- A member of the College’s academic leadership group
- Also has significant relationships with: (i) Principal and Senior Vice-Principal, (ii) Other Heads of School, (iii) College Registrar and other members of the College Management team, (iv) Heads of Support Services and the Heads of Support Groups, (v) Assistant and Vice-Principals, (vi) Relevant organisations external to the University.
Key Result Areas/Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership in teaching, research and knowledge transfer, developing a shared vision that the School will respond to appropriately in respect to external and internal influences.
- Create a positive and collegiate environment, with an emphasis on communication, in which individual members of staff are engaged and their contributions are encouraged and recognised.
- Develop the School Plan and set and monitor performance standards to optimise the use of all of the School’s resources, and where necessary, ensure corrective action is taken.
- Where change is needed, lead it through effective communication of the vision for the School, to ensure staff understand and embrace the need for change and their role in contributing to the goals of the School.
- Champion the development of constructive working relationships between the School and colleagues in other parts of the University, in order to facilitate mutual understanding and effective joint working.
- Fulfil an ambassadorial role for the School, which facilitates, establishes and maintains productive relationships with external organisations, to maximise any available opportunities.
Head of School Selection Criteria
- Ability to provide academic and management leadership across the range of disciplines present within the School
- A consultative approach to management combined with executive decision making ability
- Strategic vision and ability to lead the development and delivery of a strategic plan for the School.
- Ability to take a College wide perspective and collaborate with other Schools to achieve College objectives
- Proven track record in research and or teaching in areas relevant to the School
- Experience of managing groups of staff and or significant budgets
- Experience of successfully convening and or chairing meetings
- Proven ability to achieve results through others
- Interest in management and in developing own management skills
- Currently on an Academic contract which will not terminate prior to 31 May 2018
- Experience of developing plans in accordance with the University and College annual planning programme
- Detailed knowledge of financial management
- Previous involvement in student affairs e.g. Personal Tutor, member of student welfare committees
- Experience of chairing or convening committees at College or University level
- Experience of representing the School on College wide bodies or the College on University wide bodies
- Experience of representing the University or College externally or dealing with external bodies on behalf of the University
Submitting an application
If you are interested in being considered for this post please submit your application to the College Head of HR by Monday 8 September outlining your suitability for the post.