Biomedical Teaching Organisation

Mental health support

Look after your mental health and wellbeing, and find support if you're worried about a friend.

Emergencies: call 999

If you or someone you care about are in danger, call the emergency services on 999.

NHS 24: Telephone 111

Call 111 if you have a medical issue which cannot wait until regular hours for you to see your NHS health professional. If you are experiencing an emergency, call 999.

NHS 24

How to use the services

1. You matter.

Take your mental health and yourself seriously.

2. Register with a GP

If you're a new student, register with a GP as soon as you're here. A GP can make referrals for you to specific services, so tell them about your circumstances.

Register with a GP

3. Get help making adjustments for your studies

If you're a new student, talk to the Student Disability Service as soon as you arrive. They can help you make adjustments for your studies as needed. You can also access a Mental Health Mentor to support you throughout your studies.

Student Disability Service

Mental Health Mentor

4. Find support online

There are a lot of apps out there but we like two in particular because they're NHS-developed and properly regulated. These are the Feeling Good App and Big White Wall, and they're free when you access them through the University.

Feeling Good App (NHS)

Togetherall (NHS)

Silvercloud - free online course to help you manage stress (NHS)

5. Talk to someone

You can have up to 4 sessions with a qualified counsellor through the University's Student Counselling Service. But if you'd like to talk to someone on a more random basis, you can have a chat about hefty topics with a nice walk or a cuppa through the University Chaplaincy.  You can also access talking therapies by asking your GP; they can recommend free NHS services.

Student Counselling Service

University Chaplaincy

Looking after your friends

If you're worried about someone, the Advice Place offers guidance to help you support them. Remember, caring for someone through a crisis takes energy and emotional labour, so above all, take care of yourself.

Supporting someone you're worried about

Special Circumstances

If you're experiencing a situation beyond your control which is affecting your academic performance, talk to your Personal Tutor straight away.

Special Circumstances

Personal Tutors