Some highlights of the recent initiatives which Biomedical Sciences achieved through the Athena Swan bronze submission.
- Increased flexible working
- Increased postgraduate recruitment
- Improvements in Induction packs for all new staff
- Improvement in the percentage of women at undergraduate, postgraduate and lecturer numbers.
The BMS community
- Improvements in researcher induction, committee chairing, the Athena website, and numbers of undergraduate external examiners
- Introduction of termly Research Fora
- Response to staff surveys Equality and Diversity brief for academic staff leaders an area which the Athena SWAN working group will try to address over the next 3 years.
- Case Studies of BMS staff helped by Athena Swan
- Improvement in the percentage of women at undergraduate, postgraduate and lecturer levels
- Improvements in Induction packs for all new staff.
- Encouraging uptake of of both internal and external leadership and management training opportunities.
- George Square Postdoc Society revitalised with BMS funding identified for events and speakers.
- Departmental Maternity/Paternity policy
- 100% return rate from maternity leave
- BMS Maternity Mentoring Scheme.
- Delay of teaching responsibilities for 6 months upon return from maternity leave.
- BMS Funding for maternity leave if the the grant funding body will not fund.
- BMS childcare grant scheme to assist with childcare costs for seminar and conference speakers