Lecturer in Anatomy
Sameer graduated from Queen Mary, University of London with a BSc in Biology. His strong interest in anatomy led him to pursue a masters in Human Anatomy at Edinburgh Medical School where he earned a distinction for his work. Sameer carried out pioneering dissertation work with Consultant Plastic and Hand Surgeon, Mr Wee Lam, exploring the feasibility of utilising three-dimensional (3D) printing in anatomy education using cadaveric dissection.
Following his successful MSc, Sameer was employed by the University of Edinburgh as an Anatomy Teaching Fellow, being promoted to Lecturer in Anatomy in August 2018.
Sameer contributes to a wide spectrum of teaching within the Edinburgh Medical and Biomedical Schools. He teaches undergraduate medical students through years 1-5 (MBChB), undergraduate biomedical science students (BSc), postgraduate human anatomy students (MSc), and online students via our online postgraduate taught master’s programme (PGDip). He also teaches advanced regional anatomy sessions for Core Surgical Trainees (Scotland Deanery) and external allied health professionals. Sameer also operates as a lead and support academic at public engagement events run throughout the year.
In addition to these, Sameer enjoys roles as Course Organiser for ‘Anatomy of the Head and Neck’ (BSc Year 4 – elective course), professional mentor, member of the Anatomical Society and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Sameer has been involved in a number of research projects within the Anatomy Department.
- Campbell I, Alashkham A, Dhumale S, Findlater G, Gillingwater T. Edinburgh Hybrid Embalming method [abstract]. Clinical Anatomy 1-17. (Presented in ISCAA; June 2019; Madrid)
- Dhumale S, Barraclough TW, Stokes A, Lam W. (2018). Producing 3D printed hand models for anatomy education using cadaveric dissection: a feasibility study. Bull R Coll Surg Engl; 100(5): 217– 22
- Farnworth A, Dhumale S, and Alashkham A. (2018) Sexual dimorphism in adult human Caucasian and Asian dry skulls [poster]. Journal of Anatomy 232(6): 1038 - 1064. Anatomical Society Winter Meeting; December 2018; Dundee
- Thompson C, Dhumale S, Alashkham A. The Incidence of Accessory Foramina for the Vertebral artery in the Atlas and their Clinical Implications [abstract]. BACA Summer Meeting; June 2018; Cambridge
- McCulloch V, Dhumale S, Thompson C, and Alashkham A. Multiple Tendons of Abductor Pollicis Longus: A Cadaveric Study [Poster]. Anatomical Society Winter Meeting; December 2017; Dundee
- Dhumale S, Hubbard S, and Alashkham A. (2017) Investigating the role of mastoid processes in sexing British dry skulls [poster]. Journal of Anatomy 232(2): 304-355. Anatomical Society Summer Meeting; June 2017; Galway
- Dhumale S, and Alashkham A. (2016). Unilateral Variation of Iliacus Muscle and Femoral Nerve Split: A Case Report with Clinical Implications. Argentine Journal of Clinical Anatomy. 8 (2); 104-109
MSc Project Supervisor
- Sexual dimorphism in adult Caucasian and Asian dry skulls
- Sex determination of mandible: a morphological and morphometric analysis
- Sexual dimorphism in adult British dry skulls
- Comparison of sex determination between Malay and Indian populations
- Sex determination of Malay mandibles