What we offer
Core Facilities for Protein Production and Characterisation
Rapid solutions to the production of proteins and the biophysical characterisation of their ligands underpins many of the important questions being asked in structural and translational biology today. The Wellcome Trust, SULSA and University of Edinburgh funded Protein Production Facility (EPPF) provides researchers with access to state-of-the-art equipment and excellent end-user core facilities to address these questions.
- Centralised protein production facilities.
- Baculovirus and mammalian tissue culture facilities. 20 litre shaker-bag option.
- Bacterial, yeast and Baculovirus expression platforms (up to 78 x 2L shaker flasks; 6˚C – 42˚C).
- Small-scale mammalian expression (non-shaking).
- Selection of standard and specialised growth media.
- Purification suite –4 AKTA Pure and 2 AKTAXpress production liquid chromatography systems. Single column, low-pressure systems through to automated, unattended parallel purifications systems. Sample handling capacity; 10 µl to 20 L.
- Extensive core column library of 80 + columns (preparative and high performance IEX, HIC, GF, AF, RPC). Chromatography consumables and reagents.
- ‘Standardised’ GATEWAY-based cloning strategy; includes common primers, vectors and expression strains. Access to library of expression vectors and expression strains.
- Automated cell lysis equipment (1 ml to 20 L of cell suspension; bacteria, yeast, mammalian, plant).
- Centralised biophysical analysis platforms.
- ART Robbins Crystal Gryphon nano litre crystallisation robot.
- Low volume MicroCal AutoiTC200 (direct measurement of thermodynamics. Multiple 96-well plate handling capacity).
- Viscotek SEC-MALS 20 (Multi-Angle Light Scattering; direct measurement of molar mass).
- BIAcore-T200 SPR (affinity & kinetic measurements for proteins, DNA, small molecules. 96/384 well plate capacity). Extensive range of SPR consumables.
- CD (Secondary structure analysis).
- Multimode plate reader (UV/Vis, FP, fluorescence lifetime, luminescence. 96-well plate handling capacity).
- Thermal Shift Assay (rtPCR instrument adapted for ligand/stability screening, 96-well plate handling capacity).
- DLS (Dynamic Light Scattering; Purity and oligomeric state analysis. 96/384 well plate capacity, internal liquid handling).
- Access to in-house developed EDULISS small molecule database and the LIDAEUS and UFSRAT modelling/in silico screening programs.
Staff and Training:
In addition to the wide range of high quality instrumentation incorporated in the facility, the EPPF also provides users access to the expertise (in excess of 80 combined years) of the highly trained facility staff. The EPPF staff are responsible for the management of the laboratory and have a wide experience in molecular biology, protein expression and purification and biophysical analysis of proteins and their ligands. EPPF staff will provide fully assisted technical support and training for the infrequent user. The EPPF is also an excellent equipment resource for the experienced user. Practical training (basic and advanced) for users, ranging from individually tailored one-on-one instruction to frequent centralized training courses are offered.
Full Service Work:
If you do not have the time to undertake the experiments yourself or do not intend to use the resources and equipment that frequently, there may be an opportunity for the EPPF to provide a full service where our experienced staff will undertake the experiments for you.