Space activities at the Bayes Centre
The University of Edinburgh is slowly becoming known as a space university – and this activity stems from active work happening within the College of Science and Engineering and, specifically, the Bayes Centre. Key colleagues are coming together and really putting UoE on the map in terms of space.
Space is uniting us cross-college with Schools of GeoScience, Engineering, Informatics and Physics and Astronomy playing a key active role – and more colleagues are joining as activities ramp up.
Iain Woodhouse is leading the development of a College Research Theme in Space and Satellites, which aims to bring together the pockets of excellent space-related research and build a visible portfolio in this sector for the University.
The Bayes Centre has become the home of space activities and the wider Space and Satellites Innovation Programme – pop over and say hello to us on the 4th floor! (right next to OMS)
To give an idea of a few recent highlights:
- Principal and Ivan McKee (Minister of Trade, Investment and Innovation) came to see us in the Bayes Centre in the summer and were very impressed with space activities at the University
- Space and Sustainable Development Goals event at the Bayes Centre on the 12th November – 80 people signed up and we had over 100 attend! Slides here for anyone interested
- Multiple articles in the media, including The Times and The Scotsman
- Bayes Centre has become our home with some great hot-desking space as well as housing our enthusiastic multidisciplinary student team called Asteria
- We’ve been invited to sit on the Scottish Space Leadership Council – an influential industry lead body looking to truly make Scotland a space nation
- University is now part of the Copernicus Relay network through Kristina Tamane – a network promoting the use of Copernicus data
- 2/3 space ports of Scotland want to engage with us – ready for lift-off!
Are you doing space activities?
If you are – get in touch with Kristina Tamane to let her know what exciting and amazing stuff you’re doing and we can ensure to keep everyone in the loop. We are also finalising a mailing list which will be live in the next few weeks!