College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Concessions and special circumstances

Concessions are variations to your degree progression such as an authorised interruption of study or concessions for exceptional circumstances. Staff requiring guidance on how to submit a PG concession request for a student please contact your school postgraduate office.

Special circumstances

Special circumstances are circumstances that are beyond a student’s control and for which there is evidence to show that they had a significant adverse impact on the student’s performance in an assessment or resulted in non-attendance or non-submission for a scheduled assessment. Further information on policy and how to apply for special circumstances can be found from the Extensions and Special Circumstances Service.

Extensions and Special Circumstances Service

Concession requests

A concession is an exception or relaxation to one of the University's regulations or policies, including interruptions of study and extensions to the programme period of study. In most cases concessions will only be granted in exceptional cases and with supporting documentation. Your personal tutor will normally apply for a concession on your behalf, so get in touch with them as soon as you feel you may need a concession.

For information on which concession requests can be approved within Schools, and which require College or Senate Academic Policy and Regulations Committee (APRC) approval, please refer to the University's Special Circumstances Policy.

Authorised interruption of studies

Any student absent for over two weeks will require an Authorised Interruption of Study (AIS). If you intend to be absent for less than 14 days (such as in the case of illness) you do not need to request your absence under this policy but you do need to let your Personal Tutor or School Student Support Officer know of your illness or absence, and then of your return.

Advice for undergraduate students

Students should speak with their Personal Tutor or a Student Support Officer in the first instance. They will guide you through the School’s process for applying to have an AIS approved.

Advice for international students

If you are studying on a Tier 4 visa you should contact the Student Immigration Service for advice on immigration statuts implications of an interruption to your studies. 

Email Student Immigration Service

Advice for postgraduate students

Postgraduate students in taught programmes (such as an MSc) are able to interrupt their studies for up to 100% of the full-time length of the programme. For example, if you are completing a 12 month MSc you can interrupt your studies for up to 12 months, regardless whether you're studying full-time or part-time. To seek an interruption contact your personal tutor or School Graduate Office.