College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Information for Staff and Current Students

Information for staff and current students about Postgraduate Research Study. ​

Please note that the University has updated Guidance for Students here:

Please also visit this site if you need to report Covid related issues or need some advice or guidance you can find out how to contact and access central university support, facilities and events.

Members of the University Community who would like to speak to someone are welcome to contact the Chaplaincy Listening Service which is available 24/7.


The following pages provide information about:

  • Concessions for Postgraduate Research Students
  • Thesis Submission
  • PVG process
  • Information for funded students and award holders


Concessions for Research Students

Concessions are variations to your degree progression such as an authorised interruption of study or concessions for exceptional circumstances. Staff requiring guidance on how to submit a PG concession request for a student please contact your school postgraduate office.

Thesis submission guide

Untidy pile of books
Information on the stages of submitting your thesis.

Training and Skills for Research Students

Study Options
Information for Research students about skills and training opportunities.

Information for Funded Students and Scholarship Holders

News and events
Information for current students holding funding from AHRC or ESRC and College awards.

Where to get help

Photo of students studying together
Information on academic and non-academic support services.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

FAQ logo
Find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions relating to Postgraduate Research Students

Supervisor Travel Expenses - SGSAH

Finance Department
Information for University of Edinburgh supervisors

PVG-Disclosure Scotland

Artist Ed Blazey talking to primary school children about art.
The Scottish Government introduced the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme on 28 February 2011. From this date anyone seeking work with children or protected adults has to apply to join the Scheme in order to be eligible to take up a post either in a paid or voluntary capacity. Some students on Postgraduate Taught Programmes and Postgraduate Research Programmes may be required to join the PVG scheme.