College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Research students

Information for postgraduate research students.

As a research student you will primarily be supported by your supervisors and your school as you attend University.

Find more information on who to contact on your school webpages.

The information below will provide additional resources, information, and guidance on how processes work, what is expected of you, and what you can expect of us.

Where to get help

Photo of students studying together
Information on academic and non-academic support services.


A student outside McEwan Hall
Information for existing scholarship & research council award holders within the College.

Thesis submission guide

Untidy pile of books
Information on the stages of submitting your thesis.

Concessions for research students

Concessions are variations to your degree progression such as an authorised interruption of study or concessions for exceptional circumstances. Staff requiring guidance on how to submit a PG concession request for a student please contact your school postgraduate office.

PVG-Disclosure Scotland

Artist Ed Blazey talking to primary school children about art.
The Scottish Government introduced the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme on 28 February 2011. From this date anyone seeking work with children or protected adults has to apply to join the Scheme in order to be eligible to take up a post either in a paid or voluntary capacity. Some students on Postgraduate Taught Programmes and Postgraduate Research Programmes may be required to join the PVG scheme.