Useful checklists for new students to make sure they have everything they need before and during their stay in Edinburgh.
Before You Arrive in Edinburgh
- Read the frequently asked questions about visas carefully and apply for a visa.
- Complete your matriculation form and return it by post.
- Pay the deposit for your accommodation fee. Remember to bring your accommodation contract with you when you arrive in Edinburgh.
- Bring all your relevant documentation as requested in the information from your college.
- Read the joining instructions from your college carefully, as these will contain important information regarding specific activities and requirements related to your programme.
- Contact your Course Coordinator by phone or email to confirm your travel arrangements.
- Pay your tuition fees. How to pay your tuition fee
After You Arrive in Edinburgh
- Attend your induction events for your programme.
- Meet with your Personal Tutor.
- Register with a doctor.
- Register with the police (if necessary).
- Open a bank account.
- Inform the Council if you are living in non-University accommodation and wish to be exempt from Council Tax.
What to Pack
The University of Edinburgh's Edinburgh Global has produced several welcome films for new students. Including information on:
- Clothes to pack
- What to pack
- What to do after you arrive
Different arrangements for IFP students
Please be aware that we have made many special arrangements for the CAHSS International Foundation Programme including accommodation arrangements and start date.
For example, you will find that your start date differs from that of new undergraduate students.
If you are not sure about the information you read on CAHSS website, just contact the CAHSS International Foundation Programme Course Coordinator.