International Foundation Programme

After You Arrive

Information on important tasks you should complete soon after your arrival to Edinburgh.


Information about banking in the UK

Police Registration

After arriving in Edinburgh, some international students may need to register with the police. If you need to register, this requirement will be written in your passport.

You normally need to register within seven days of your arrival in the UK. The HSS International Foundation Programme Coordinator will help you to arrange an appointment during your induction.

What to bring:

  • Passport
  • 2 x Passport-sized photos
  • Registration fee (£34)


You should register with a doctor (also called a General Practitioner or GP in the UK) soon after your arrival so that you can receive treatment quickly and easily. Part of your induction period will involve registering with a GP at the University Health Service.

The University Health Service provides comprehensive medical care under the National Health Service (NHS). If you become ill after arrival in the UK, you may obtain NHS treatment without charge, provided you are a matriculated student at the University.

University Health Service

Dentists and Opticians

Dentists and opticians make a charge for treatment and details of these services are available from the Advice Place. Note that you do have to register separately with these services for treatment and that registration with a GP Practice for NHS treatment does not automatically allow you free dental and optical care. Find details of the NHS Dentist nearest to your home by visiting the NHS 24 website.

Find NHS Services near you

EUSA Advice Place

Student Disability Service

Students with a disability, including those with specific learning disabilities, are warmly welcomed to the University of Edinburgh.

The Student Disability Service offers information and advice on all aspects of support for disabled students and can help you plan your studies at Edinburgh. If you think you are eligible for adaptations, adjustments to teaching or assessment practice, or personal assistance (for instance, a note taker or proof-reader), it is essential that you contact the Student Disability Service as soon as possible.

Student Disability Service