Eligibility and Entry Requirements
Details of the eligibility and entry requirements for admission to the International Foundation Programme.
To be eligible to be considered for entry to the programme, you must be an international student:
- Whose first language is not English
- Whose school qualifications were obtained within the last 4 years
- Who is not eligible for direct entry to the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences' undergraduate degrees because your school qualifications are not accepted. Please note that you can check if your qualifications are accepted for direct entry through the following links:
Academic Entry Requirements for the International Foundation Programme
You should be expecting to achieve excellent grades in your high school leaving qualifications or have already achieved excellent grades within the last four years.
To be considered for admission to the programme, the minimum academic qualifications you should be expecting to attain can be viewed in the Academic Entry Requirements pdf.
English Language Requirements
We require applicants to complete an approved secure English language test (SELT) for entry to this programme. Our approved SELTs meet our English language proficiency requirements and the minimum standard for Tier 4 visas. Accepted tests and scores are:
- IELTS for UKVI with overall score of 5.5 or above with at least 5.5 in each component (normal IELTS will not be accepted, you must have an IELTS for UKVI certificate)
- LanguageCert (International ESOL SELT – Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking) with 40/50 in each component
Your English language qualification must be no more than two years old from the start date of the programme.
For more information please see our English language requirements for programmes below degree level.
Academic English language tuition forms a core part of the International Foundation Programme’s curriculum. If your English language proficiency is equivalent to an overall IELTS score of 7.5 or higher we may contact you to discuss your application further.