The CAHSS Colleague Recognition Awards are a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the people you work alongside, and thank them for the difference they make every day in our College.
Shortlist announced for CAHSS Colleague Recognition Awards
Following an unprecedented response from staff within CAHSS, the shortlist of nominees for the Colleague Recognition Awards has been announced.
More than 500 colleagues from around the College have been nominated by their peers, across nine categories.
Shortlisted candidates are invited to a celebration event on 19th March in Rainy Hall, at which the winners will be revealed.
Winners will receive a certificate and restaurant voucher, as well as a trophy designed by MSc Glass student, Marianne le Gallo of Edinburgh College of Art.
The shortlist is as follows:
- Lorna Sheal (HiSS)
- Lilias Fraser (MHSES)
- Remi Jankeviciute (ECA)
- Fiona Carmichael (LLC)
Susan Manning Award for Inspiring Mentor
- Carol Richardson (ECA)
- Kevin Bryant (HCA)
- Alexandra Braun (Law)
- Fiona Mackay (SPS)
Leader of Innovation and Change
- Will Chicken (UEBS)
- Gillian Richardson (MHSES)
- Vicky Swann (HCA)
- Alette Willis (HiSS)
- Creative Informatics Professional Services (ECA)
- Student Development Team (UEBS)
- UG Teaching Office (PPLS)
- Pre-award Team, Research Office (SPS)
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Rachel O’Neill and Audrey Cameron (MHSES)
- Celeste-Marie Bernier (LLC)
- Wendy Loretto (UEBS)
- Andy Thompson (SPS)
Catriona Grant (Law)
- Nadin Akta (LLC)
- Tracey Fearnehough (ECA)
- Oliver Escobar (SPS)
- Sanni Ahonen (HiSS)
- Andrew Bell (UEBS)
- Neil Buchanan (COL)
- James Hanton (Economics)
- Emma Donovan (HCA)
Dean of Students Award for Contribution to Student Experience
- Emily Taylor and Emily Gribbin (HiSS)
- Christine Lennie (LLC)
- Natalie Stroud (SPS)
- Eli Appleby-Donald (ECA)
Head of College Award for Exceptional Service
- Sarah Cooper (UEBS)
- Sue Coleman (HCA)
- Roisin O’Fee (Divinity)
- Melissa McLaughlin (PPLS)
Many congratulations to all nominees!
This award is given to an individual who inspires, cheers and encourages those with whom they work.
It recognises those who
- contribute to team performance by providing advice and support, helping others overcome obstacles, and accomplish success;
- is a dependable team player who shows integrity, empathy and respect for others,
- and builds and maintains great working relationships.
- Willingly anticipates and responds to the needs of others; carefully considers how their actions affect others
- Looks for ways to help their colleagues; shares information and ideas to help others achieve their goals
- Shows appreciation and enthusiasm towards other people in the institution; makes a special effort to welcome new members to the College
- Encourages people to think of themselves as a team; considers projects and goals in terms of group accomplishments and efforts
This award is given to a team that has delivered an outstanding project or overcome significant challenge in the last year.
It recognises those who work hard together, supporting each other with a strong team spirit to achieve success.
It can be awarded to formal or informal teams in academic, professional services or technical departments.
It can also be awarded for project-based partnerships between professional services and academics, or colleagues in different schools or functions.
- Demonstrate their commitment to each other, working with integrity, cooperation and respect.
- Create a supportive working culture where every member feels valued and appreciated
- Delivered an exceptional project or achievement that drew on the strengths and talents of all team members
This award is given to an individual or group who makes an outstanding contribution to progressing equality, inclusion and diversity at the University.
It recognises those who celebrate diversity and difference, and encourage others to do the same. It recognises those who challenge discrimination and unfairness by working to eliminate such inequity.
- Works to further a sense of safety, belonging and satisfaction for everyone in our community
- Builds respectful, authentic, and engaged relationships between colleagues and community members, especially across difference
- Advances inclusive and anti-discrimination policies and practice to increase clarity, promote fairness, challenge discrimination and enhance accountability
- Creates innovative programmes to engage historically marginalised groups of staff, students, alumni, or community members that champion diversity, inclusivity, and equality.
This award is given to an individual or team who uses creativity to develop or improve our workplace.
It recognises those who lead innovative change and encourage reasonable risk-taking that improves the university and makes CAHSS a better place to work.
- Considers situations and problems with fresh perspective; addresses challenges in helpful ways
- Views ideas and suggestions in the round; contributes to helping ideas work in practice
- Encourages and supports colleagues through periods of change, listening to concerns, acknowledging challenges and finding positive solutions
This award honours an individual who has been an outstanding mentor to colleagues over a sustained period and has had a significant impact on helping others establish themselves professionally.
- Demonstrates a commitment to supporting the development of others, encouraging them to progress in their career
- Acts with openness and integrity, providing support and understanding
- Is an excellent role model to other colleagues, providing guidance and inspiration
This award is given to a colleague within CAHSS who has made a significant impact in their first year in post. It recognises those who bring enthusiasm, creativity and commitment to their role and who build positive working relationships.
- Brings energy, enthusiasm and commitment to their new role
- Makes an effort to build positive relationships with colleagues in and beyond their team
- Contributes to College culture by treating those in their community with respect and kindness
- Listens to existing practices and offers enthusiastic and respectful suggestions
- Joined the College, or took up a new post, after 1 January 2019
This award is given to an individual or team who has fostered connections with external partners, locally or globally, to fulfil CAHSS’ mission to be a force for social good.
- Fosters collaborations that connect University expertise with external partners to deliver positive social change
- Deliver demonstrable and lasting impact for the University’s community, either locally or globally
- Encourages and engages colleagues to work in partnership to achieve shared goals
This award is given to an individual or team who has made an outstanding effort to deliver excellence for our students.
It recognises those who prioritise the needs and perspectives of students throughout their University journey, and who seek to improve service and provision wherever possible.
- Prioritises the needs and experience of students
- Demonstrates the University’s commitment to value and appreciate students and their contribution to University life
- Develops new or improved ways to offer students an excellent service, either directly or indirectly by supporting student-facing colleagues
The Exceptional Service Award is presented to colleagues who have made exemplary contributions in service of the University community. These individuals have been dedicated, positive, and trusted by colleagues over many years. Their efforts have exceeded their formal title and stated duties, and provided beneficial and lasting impact on the College community.
- Provides outstanding service to their colleagues and the broader CAHSS community
- Demonstrates exceptional dedication to the betterment of the University, exceeding the expectations of their specific role(s)
- Acts with enthusiasm, positivity and inclusivity and makes CAHSS a better place to work
- Devoted service to the University over more than five years