Widening Particpation is about attracting the very best students from a wide range of backgrounds. It is essential to raise aspirations among students from under-represented groups.
Widening Participation (WP) to higher education is a strategic priority for the UK and Scottish governments, the higher education sector in general and the University of Edinburgh in particular.
WP aims to address the discrepancies in the take-up of higher education opportunities between different social groups.
We therefore work to raise aspirations and educational attainment among prospective students from under-represented groups, to:
- prepare them for higher education
- ensure success on their programme of study
- improve their employment prospects
- open possibilities for postgraduate study
- give them opportunities to return to learning throughout their lives
Read about Widening Participation