The Department for Social Responsibility and Sustainability works to enable the University to understand, explain and deliver on its ambition to be a leading socially responsible and sustainable university.
The University of Edinburgh is committed to being a world leader in addressing global challenges including poverty, climate change and the growing demand for energy, food and water.
The Department was created in 2014 to understand how the University can work to respond to these challenges.
We aim to do this by:
- Supporting a culture of change
- Pursuing excellence and innovation
- Working collaboratively as part of the local and global community
What we do
Our work cuts across the following areas:
- Scanning, Evidence and Strategic Development
- Inspiration and Communications
- Operational Responsibility and Sustainability
- Links with Research, Learning and Teaching
- Social Responsibility and Sustainability Governance Planning and Reporting
Our current programmes are:
- Sustainability awards
- Switch energy engagement and communications
- Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy
- Sustainable laboratories
- Sustainable travel
- Fairness in trade and sustainable procurement
- Be Sustainable training
Read more about what we plan to do in our four-year strategy:
The University's ambitious social responsibility and sustainability goals are defined and monitored by a number of strategies, plans and committees.