An Insight into the Edinburgh International Film Festival
Wednesday 19 June to Sunday 23 June 2013.
This popular course, run in conjunction with the Edinburgh International Film Festival, offers six film premieres, beginning with the Opening Night, and a special event.
Last year's screenings included Berberian Sound Studio (UK), Tabu (Portugal), and an in-person event with director Wang Bing.
Tickets to all events are included in the course fee of £135. The course fee also includes the EIFF 2013 catalogue. Please note that the course has a limited number of places available so early enrolment is advisable.
Fully enrolled students can purchase an EIFF Student Pass with a special 10% discount. The pass gives access to Press and Industry screenings, the Delegate Centre and has many other benefits (see EIFF website for details).
There will be tutor-led group discussions every day and four lectures delivered by Open Studies Film Tutors from the University of Edinburgh.
The list of films, timetable and event will be confirmed soon after the EIFF official launch on 29th May. Please see the provisional timetable below.
- Wednesday 19 June
- 5.00pm: Welcome meeting: Music Room, 11 Buccleuch Place
- 6.30pm: Opening night - Breathe in (Drake Doremus / USA / 2013/ 98 min) Festival Theatre
- 8.30pm until late: EIFF Opening Night Party (Black Tie)
National Museum of Scotland Chambers Street
- Thursday 20 June
- 11.00 - 12.00: Group Discussion, Basil Skinner, 15 Buccleuch Place
- 1.45pm - 2.45pm: Art of the Widescreen Cinema (Pasquale Iannone, Filmhouse 3)
- 6.30pm: The Last Station, Cineworld (Cristian Soto, Catalina Vergara/ Chile/ Germany, 90 min)
- Friday 21 June
- 11.00 - 12.00: Group Discussion, Fleming Room, 12 Buccleuch Place
- 1.45pm - 2.45pm: Documentary Film (Martine Pierquin, Filmhouse 3)
- 3.30pm 5.30pm: Symposium Jean Gremillon, Filmhouse 3
(panel includes Pasquale Iannone and Martine Pierquin)
- 7.50pm: White Epilepsy, Filmhouse 3
(Philippe Grandieux/ France/ 2012/68 min)
- 9.35pm: Fair Wind:Notes of a Traveller, Filmhouse 3(Bernadette Weigel / Austria / 2013 /82 min)
- Saturday 22 June
- 9.30 - 10.30: Group Discussion, Music Room, 11 Buccleuch Place
- 10.45 - 11.45: Cinema and Sensation,Tony McKibbin, Music room, 11 Buccleuch Place
- 1pm: A Story of Children and Film, Filmhouse 1
(Mark Cousins / UK / 2013 / 104m)
Q & A by Pasquale Iannone with Mark Cousins
- 8.30pm: The Bling Ring, Filmhouse 1
(Sofia Coppola/ USA / 2013 / 90 min)
- Sunday 23 June
- 10.30am: Virgin Forest (Lee Hyun-jung / South Korea / 2012 /73m)
- 12.00 -1.30pm: end of course lunch
- 2pm-4pm: Group Discussion, Conclusions and Feedback, Music Room, 11 Buccleuch Place
- 5.30pm: Maldone, Filmhouse 3, (Jean Gremillon / France / 1927 / 90 min)
Course details and booking
If you have any questions about the course please contact the Course Organiser, Martine Pierquin.
This article was published on Jun 13, 2013