College of Science and Engineering
English language requirements for programmes in the College, with conditions and exemptions.
The English language qualifications we accept are listed below.
If you have taken or plan to take an English language test that does not appear on our list, please contact the relevant College Admissions Office to check if we will accept it.
Minimum test scores for entry in 2013
English language requirements are the same for all schools in the College: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Engineering, Informatics, Mathematics, and Physics and Astronomy, apart from the School of Geosciences, which has higher requirements.
- All MSc programmes in the School of Geosciences
- IELTS 7.0 (with no score lower than 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL-iBT: Total 100 (with no score lower than 20 in each section)
- Pearson Test of English: 67 (with no score lower than 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections - "Enabling Skills" section scores are not considered)
- Cambridge CPE Grade B
- Cambridge CAE Grade A
- All other programmes in the College of Science and Engineering
- IELTS Academic module 6.5 (with score no lower than 6.0 in each section)
- TOEFL-iBT 92 (with no score lower than 20 in each section)
- Pearson Test of English: 61 (with no score lower than 56 in each section)
- Cambridge CPE Grade C
- Cambridge CAE Grade B
Abbreviations used on this page
- Internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Test
- International English Language Testing System
- Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Pearson Test of English (Academic)
- Certificate in Advanced English
- Certificate of Proficiency in English
Conditions and exemptions
Your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree course.
A degree from an English speaking university may also be accepted in some circumstances.
This article was published on May 27, 2013