If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of your written and spoken English skills.

Changes to Secure English Language Tests

The UK government has made changes to its list of English language qualifications approved as being Secure English Language Tests (SELTs).

The changes are for visa applications submitted on or after 6 April 2015.

The government allows universities to accept English language qualifications that are not on the approved SELT list for entry to degree-level study.

This means that from the 6 April 2015, the University of Edinburgh will continue to accept all of the English language qualifications listed below, including all IELTS qualifications.

English language qualifications we accept

International English Language Testing System
Internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language Test
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English

Search English language requirements

Specific English language requirements for each programme are listed in our degree finder.

Use our degree finder to search for your programme and check requirements.

Conditions and exemptions

Your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree programme.

We also accept recent previous degree-level study that has been taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country for entry (as defined by UK Visas & Immigration.)

Sending your certificates

Original certificates are required, unless your qualification is in IELTS.

University policy

English language support

Related links

Accessibility menu