College Research Awards
The College Research Student Awards scheme is designed to attract high quality students applying for PhD research.
Types of Awards
There are two types of award being offered, each tenable for 3 years subject to satisfactory progress. Applicants are automatically considered for both awards.
The College Studentships pay fees at the Home/EU rate, a stipend of £12,300 per year and a research expenses allowance of £500 per annum. Applicants who are unsuccessful in obtaining a College Studentship are automatically considered for a College Scholarship.
College Scholarships pay fees at the Home/EU rate and a research expenses allowance of £500 per annum.
Only those with the highest standard of academic qualifications can be successful, as College Research Awards are extremely competitive. For example, there are usually over 20 applicants for each award, and many have masters degrees.
When making our decisions we will:
- Consider the applicant’s academic achievements, research proposal, research potential, any publications made, and the degree of support provided by references.
- Not take into account factors such as financial status and nationality.
When applying for these awards candidates must:
- Be seeking to start their first year of full-time or part-time PhD study (not MSc by Research) in the academic year Sep 2014 to August 2015.
- Be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
- Include in their personal statements reference to achievements made and their own assessment of their future potential.
- Be strongly supported by the references given in support of their PhD application.
- Send us their completed award applications no later than the deadline date of 3 February 2014. Any part-completed applications received will be discounted and become ineligible at that time. We cannot accept any additional supporting information after the deadline date.
- Note that the research proposal need not be overly long and, provided that it contains the key information, brevity is welcome.
- Note that, when started, the on-line award application must be completed - there is no facility to save a partly-completed application.
- Note that if College Award candidates are applying to study topics eligible for UK Research Council Awards then they must also apply to the relevant Research Council.
When applying for a college award:
- Please apply for PhD admission before applying for a College Award. Application for postgraduate admission should be made via the University's on-line admission system. Application for PhD study is made via the University's Prospectus at:
- Note that you do not need to wait to receive an offer to study before applying for a college award.
- Note that the application deadline for us to receive your complete college research award application is 3 February 2014.
The selection panel will meet in March 2014 to select the scholarship holder. The winner of the scholarship will be announced in early April 2014.
College of Humanities and Social Science, Postgraduate Office
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
Work: +44 (0)131 650 4086
Fax: +44 (0)131 650 6536
This article was published on May 4, 2010