College Research Awards
The College Research Student Awards scheme is designed to attract high quality students applying for PhD research.
Exact awards levels may differ depending on the intended School of study. Applicants should contact the School postgraduate office for further details.
Only those with the highest standard of academic qualifications can be successful, as College Research Awards are extremely competitive. For example, there are usually over 20 applicants for each award, and many have masters degrees.
When making our decisions we will:
- Consider the applicant’s academic achievements, research proposal, research potential, any publications made, and the degree of support provided by references.
- Not take into account factors such as financial status and nationality.
When applying for these awards candidates must:
- Be seeking to start their first year of full-time or part-time PhD study (not MSc by Research) in the academic year September 2015 to August 2016.
- Be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
- Include in their personal statements reference to achievements made and their own assessment of their future potential.
- Be strongly supported by the references given in support of their PhD application.
- Send us their completed award applications no later than the deadline date for their School. Any part-completed applications received will be discounted and become ineligible at that time. We cannot accept any additional supporting information after the deadline date.
- Note that the research proposal need not be overly long and, provided that it contains the key information, brevity is welcome.
- Note that, when started, the on-line award application must be completed - there is no facility to save a partly-completed application.
- Note that if College Award candidates are applying to study topics eligible for UK Research Council Awards then they must also apply to the relevant Research Council.
Applicants intending to do a PhD within the School of Economics and the School of History, Classics and Archaeology are not eligible for this award.
This scholarship is now closed. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2015-2016 academic session.
All applicants will be informed of the outcome within 6 weeks of the scholarship closing for their intended School of study.
College of Humanities and Social Science, Postgraduate Office
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
Work: +44 (0)131 650 4086
Fax: +44 (0)131 650 6536
This article was published on Dec 5, 2014