Professor Andrew McIntosh
Andrew McIntosh is Chair of Biological Psychiatry at the University of Edinburgh and Associate Director of the Scottish Mental Health Research Network.
- Professor Andrew M McIntosh
- Chair of Biological Psychiatry
- Division of Psychiatry
- Work: 0131 537 6274
- Fax: 0131 537 6291
He is an Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist in NHS Lothian.
Professor McIntosh graduated in Medicine from Aberdeen University in 1995 and Psychiatry training within Scotland.
He has held several posts, including that of Wellcome Trust Research Fellow, MRC Research Fellow, Academy of Medical Sciences/Health Foundation Clinician Scientist, Reader and Visiting Associate Professor at Yale Medical School.
Professor McIntosh’s goal is to use a combination of human clinical, genetic and brain imaging methods in vivo to inform and develop better models of major mental illness.
His overarching aim is that we develop better models of pathophysiology and treatment, leading to the development of more effective treatments and diagnostic tests and fundamentally improving the outcome for our patients.
Markers of esteem
- White matter integrity in individuals at high genetic risk of bipolar disorder
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011;70(4):350-6
- Sprooten E, Sussmann JE, Clugston A, Peel A, McKirdy J, Moorhead TW, Anderson S, Shand AJ, Giles S, Bastin ME, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- The neural basis of familial risk and temperamental variation in individuals at high risk of bipolar disorder
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011;70(4):343-9
- Whalley HC, Sussmann JE, Chakirova G, Mukerjee P, Peel A, McKirdy J, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- Association of white matter integrity with genetic variation in an exonic DISC1 SNP
- Mol Psychiatry. 2011;16(7):688-9
- Sprooten E, Sussmann JE, Moorhead TW, Whalley HC, Ffrench-Constant C, Blumberg HP, Bastin ME, Hall J, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- Longitudinal volume reductions in people at high genetic risk of schizophrenia as they develop psychosis
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011 May 15;69(10):953-8
- McIntosh AM, Owens DC, Moorhead WJ, Whalley HC, Stanfield AC, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM
- Prefrontal function and activation in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia
- Am J Psychiatry. 2008 Mar;165(3):378-84
- McIntosh AM, Whalley HC, McKirdy J, Hall J, Sussmann JE, Shankar P, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM
- White matter tractography in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia
- Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Dec 15;64(12):1088-92
- McIntosh AM, Muñoz Maniega S, Lymer GK, McKirdy J, Hall J, Sussmann JE, Bastin ME, Clayden JD, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM
This article was published on Oct 5, 2011