Our Fair Trade Procurement Goal
The University and the Edinburgh University Students Association work closely together to promote Fair Trade. Our goal is to contribute to meeting the global challenge of poverty through fair trade.
- First Scottish Universities & Colleges Fairtrade Conference co-hosted by the University and Edinburgh University Students Association
- Harriet Lamb CBE, Executive Director of the Fairtrade Foundation gave the University’s inaugural International Women’s Day lecture.
- Ben Miller, alumnus, awarded the Principal’s Medal for his community service to Fair Trade
- Marked the fifth year of the University’s status as Scotland’s first Fairtrade University
- University increases its existing commitment to Fair Trade with revised Fair Trade Policy
- Presented University Fairtrade and Public Procurement to Scottish Parliament cross-party group
- University Fairtrade Academic Network established
- Launched Fairtrade website
- Student-run Fair Trade Cafe wins Lord Provost Fairtrade Community Award 2011
- Commissioned research by MSc students into the University’s engagement in fair trade
Ask for Fairtrade at the University
EUSA shops stock a variety of Fairtrade products, biscuits, chocolate, fruit, juice, nuts, vegetables and wine, to name a few, plus University hoodies and t-shirts made with Fairtrade cotton.
Accommodation Services in conjunction with Edinburgh First offer a wide range of Fairtrade foods and beverages for every kind of event, business lunches to honorary banquets. They use only Fair Trade Malawi rice which directly supports the education of children in Malawi.
Watch out for Fairtrade Fortnight at the University. You can listen to and meet Fairtrade farmers, sponsors and supporters sharing their experiences as guest speakers. Join in with the wide varied range of fun events; help the world develop a fairer system of trading.
For more information visit the University Fair Trade website
How we challenge global poverty through Fair Trade
Our objectives are to:
- Expand the range of Fairtrade foods and drinks available at our shops, cafes and catering
- Promote other Fairtrade certified products as these become available
- Share our knowledge about fair trade
Our approach is to:
- Raise awareness of fair trade on campus and in the wider community
- Develop, share and implement our research, teaching and knowledge on fair trade and related issues such as ethics, markets and social justice through an academic network and in global academies.
Find out more
Lead Responsibilities & Committees
Fairtrade Steering Group
Convenor: Karen Bowman, Director of Procurement
FSG Secretary: Jane Rooney
Telephone - 0131 650 2491
This article was published on Feb 11, 2013