Research leave guidelines and application form
Research Leave must be applied for and approved by Committee one full calendar year before the session requested. Applications are usually considered at the March meeting of the Research Committee each year.
Applications for 2013/14 leave have to be submitted to the LLC Research Group by March 2012 (exact date tbc).
Applications should be submitted electronically to the LLC Research Group Secretary (Eve Equi) by this date having been agreed with Heads of Department and with subject area Research Advisors.
For any queries regarding your application, please contact Eve Equi.
Eve Equi Research AdministratorLLC School Office
5.15, David Hume Tower
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 3859
Fax: +44 (0)131 650 1311
Details of eligibility and entitlement can be viewed at the following page:
Research Leave Application Form
Completing the leave application form
List all paid leave of absence previously granted during employment at the University of Edinburgh
- Be specific on dates
- Note whether leave requested is now 'due', accelerated or retarded, why and by how much
Purpose of proposed leave
- Include approximate scale of the project
- Give a timetable or schedule for the completion of the project
- Give an indication of publication targets including the nature of the anticipated publication and the approximate length
- Has a publication contract been negotiated? Is this a response to an invitation? Has it been accepted by a journal? Include details where available
- Or, indicate journals / publishers to which resultant work will be sent
- Indicate whether external funding will be sought and from which bodies, with date of outcome where known
Objectives and outcomes of previous leave
- Provide clear project titles and brief descriptions
- List the resultant publications
- Include any external funding awards
Most significant publications of last four years
- Include published works, and any which are accepted for publication and in press (with expected date of publication)
Submitting the Application to Committee
The completed form should be approved by both the Research Advisor (in DELC this should include both the Subject Research Advisor and the DELC Research Advisor), and the Head of Division (in DELC) or Subject Area. It should then be forwarded to the Eve Equi for inclusion in the Research Committee meeting.
At the end of the sabbatical period, a brief report, outlining how the time was spent and any outputs achieved, should be sent to Eve Equi.
This article was published on Jul 18, 2011