Study advice

If you want one-to-one advice and guidance about your studies, there are a number of places you can go to.

Sources of advice in your school of study

For academic advice and guidance, the first person you should contact is your Personal Tutor or another member of the student support team in your school.

The members of staff who teach your course will often be able to help. It might be best to ask them if you are concerned about a particular piece of work associated with that course. Some subject areas identify particular members of staff who can offer guidance about learning and studying. Check the course information in your handbook or online for details.

Advice from the Institute for Academic Development

You can arrange a one-to-one appointment with our Study Development Advisers.

The Institute for Academic Development Study Development Advisers are here to help all students learn to study more effectively and develop strategies which will enable them to become a more successful students.

To arrange an appointment you can either send an email (to the email address below) or call 0131 651 6662.

Please note that we don't have the resources to provide a drop-in service and we cannot proofread individual pieces of work or give subject specific guidance.

  • Study development advice

    Academic advice from the Students’ Association Advice Place

    The Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA) Academic Advice team are available to speak with you throughout the year about any issues or concerns you have with your course or academic progress.

    You can contact them by phone, email, or drop in to their offices in Bristo Square.

    Top tips from fellow students

    Talking Ed’s is a new electronic resource made by students for students. The resource is a friendly welcoming gateway for new students and their expectations of studying at Edinburgh.

    Specific difficulties

    If you think you may have a specific difficulty, such as dyslexia, you should go and discuss this with members of staff at the Disability Service

    If English is not your first language

    The EUSA Peer Proofreading scheme uses the help of student volunteers to proofread the work of fellow students.

    Please note that the Peer Proofreading scheme only accepts assignments from non-native English speakers.

    The University’s English Language Teaching Centre has also produced a range of English language development study packs you may find useful:

    Are other issues affecting your learning?

    Concerns about learning can be linked to other issues like stress or money worries. The guide to student services at the University provides a short description of all student services that may be able to help you; it includes information on advice services to support your health and welfare.

    If anything is seriously affecting your work, you should tell your Personal Tutor or another member of the student support team in your school as soon as possible.

    Accessibility menu