Data management training
About MANTRA, a new online course in research data management.
MANTRA is a self-paced online course covering the essentials of research data management. It is designed for doctoral students and other researchers.
Topics covered by the course
- research data explained
- data management plans
- organising data
- file formats and transformation
- documentation and metadata
- storage and security
- data protection, rights and access
- preservation, sharing and licensing
How to access the course
The course is open access and hosted online by the University Data Library. Get started now by following this link:
Course learning outcomes
On completion of this course you will:
- Recognise the importance of good practice in managing research data in general and apply it within your own work context.
- Apply knowledge gained to be able to draw up a data management plan and maintain it throughout the project life.
- Be able to organise and document your data efficiently during the course of your project.
- Be aware of the options available to you to securely store and back up your data.
- Be able to use SPSS, NVivo, R, or ArcGIS for data handling.
Background to the course's development
MANTRA was funded by JISC and produced by the University of Edinburgh data library (Information Services) with involvement from the IAD.
This article was published on Nov 14, 2011